Acer Laptop trouble

JLawlor18 18:21 04 Jun 2010

I recently received a virus (syssvc.exe) on my Acer Aspire 5735 laptop which disabled me to open the internet, use antivirus software and get rid of it. So, putting it into safe mode I used the antivirus software to delete the viruses which knackered my laptop, with the only solution was to system restore which I did.

Now, the only files I have on my laptop are the ones on my D drive (music, pics, videos) and the original files when you set up the laptop at first.

But, the problem is that it takes ages to respond on control panel, browsing my computer, going onto internet explorer and trying to install antivirus software.

Anyone had any experiences of poor performance after factory restore?? Any help would be greatly appreciated as Acer haven't replied to my problem although they said they would.

birdface 18:27 04 Jun 2010

have you tried last good configuration in safe mode.

mooly 19:06 04 Jun 2010

I think I can tell you Acer's response,
"we can sell you recovery discs for £$xxxxxx......"

You have used two terms above "system restore" which is a windows function, and factory restore, which means returning the PC to as it was on day one.

Which is it ?
click here

A factory restore should give you an "as new" PC but will have to load all applications and updates etc.

morddwyd 19:32 04 Jun 2010

Did you make a set of recovery discs as soon as you got the laptop, like Acer tell you to?

If so, use them.

If not you'll need to use the recovery partition.

I have "recovered" an Acer, and it is lightning fast after recovery, as it should be, of course, with no apps to slow it down.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:50 04 Jun 2010

Acer Recovery Instructions

1. Power on the machine
2. At the white ACER BIOS screen, hold the “Alt” key and press the “F10” key simultaneously to start Acer eRecovery
3. Once eRecovery has loaded, click “Restore to Factory Default Settings”
4. Click “OK” to continue
5. From here, the eRecovery process will update all the data on the C: drive and restore a fully functional factory image (approximately 10 minutes).
6. Once eRecovery has run, press “OK” to reboot unit

JLawlor18 22:34 04 Jun 2010

It was a factory restore that I did and there is no option to do it in safe mode with last known configuration. I also didn't make a set of recovery discs either which really doesn't help my cause. What is the recovery partition or have I already used it with factory restore?

I've noticed that it won't let me uninstall the trial for Microsoft office nor update either.

mooly 07:22 05 Jun 2010

How did you run "factory restore"

Factory restore deletes everything on the C drive, and then rebuilds it exactly as it was the day you first switched on from the hidden recovery partition.

So you'll soon know... you would have to set it all up again, install all updates, set the clock and date, your name etc etc. Any programs you have installed will be gone, things like flash player will be gone.

If all that hasn't happened you haven't done a factory restore :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?