Acer laptop question

raeman 18:06 18 Feb 2006

Have an Acer laptop, hard drive formatted with 2 partitions both fat32 has anyone out there converted them to NTFS and if so do the recovery/backup CD's i created when i got the machine still work ok.

Jimmy14 18:18 18 Feb 2006

i dont know how to but my acer laptop is formatted into 2 partitions of 40gb each, whats yours and is it a new one

Granger 09:48 20 Feb 2006

I've got a Acer Travelmate 803LCi 40GB HDD including a recovery partition, all in FAT. I once converted to NTFS and the laptop didn't like it, it ran extremely slowly. So I recovered it and started again with no trouble, but I've never understood whether the partition is even necessary since I have recovery discs.

De Marcus™ 10:13 20 Feb 2006

I too have an Acer, they are particular to being partitioned, generally into exact halves. Personally I'm not a fan of partitioning however if the d: drive is used for storing your data files etc, the recovery software leaves them in tact, in other words it only concentrates on the c: drive so after a full recovery your documents, files are still in tact. If the hard drives goes though, the lots gone.

I've been running both my partitions using the NTFS file system since I got it, no problems. If the recovery CD was needed only your c:drive would be formatted back to fat32, the d: drive should remain as NTFS.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires