acer laptop power charger

gidster 16:53 02 Mar 2010

hi ive a acer laptop,maybe a couple of years old,the laptop its self is fine i think,its the power charger,it as stoped charging the laptop up.i took it to pc world and they say its the connector in the laptop,and im looking at £250 repair.but strangely when i got home it started working again with.but its gone again.what do you think.pay the money,insurence job or new laptop? thanks

GaT7 17:08 02 Mar 2010

That's ridiculous - I mean the price to repair it. Do you have a local computer shop that can hopefully repair it for a substantially lower fee?

If not, then a new laptop should be worth it over a repair.

What's the spec of the current one? Or, can you post a link to your laptop? G

Ian in Northampton 17:11 02 Mar 2010

My daughter got her Acer laptop fixed by a local computer shop for about £60. I don't think it was a faulty charger, rather it was a faulty connection between the charger plug and the laptop power socket. That sounds like it might be the case with yours, given the intermittent nature of the fault.

gidster 13:39 04 Mar 2010

hi , yes my laptop is an Acer travelmate 5720,

yeah pc world told me it was the socket in the laptop as they tried all their chargers and it didnt work.at the moment ive got it charging but you cant move the laptop out of its position or ill lose it.lol

ill ring some computer shops then,if thats what it should be £60. how do pc world get away with charging that then?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans échec ?