Acer Laptop HD failing (SMART warning) - serious? And what to do?

buel 15:22 14 Sep 2014

Hi, I have just reinstalled Vista on a 7 year old Acer Aspire 5732 and I get the SMART message on start up of 'WARNING: Immediately back-up your data and replace your hard disk drive. A failure may be imminent.Press F1 to continue'(I was getting this message before I reinstalled Vista).

After getting rid of all the bloatware and installing the various antivirus/antimalware software I used the Acer software to create back up discs and then used the Windows software to make a back up disc. I would like to know if I bought a replacement hard drive and used either the Acer or Windows discs to reinstall the current state, would the hard drive errors be 'transferred' with them?

Also, I have Acronis 11, should I use that to back up/create images of the current state?

Thank you in advance.

buel 15:25 14 Sep 2014

Damn it. It is a 5378, not as stated above.

buel 16:40 14 Sep 2014

Bumpy:

I would like to know if I bought a replacement hard drive and used either the Acer or Windows discs to reinstall the current state, would the hard drive errors be 'transferred' with them?

buel 21:35 14 Sep 2014

Can anyone offer some help, please?

BRYNIT 08:27 15 Sep 2014

As you hard drive is failing I think Rumpelteazer should have said do a clean install on a new hard drive.

If you have the recovery disk you created or were supped with your laptop these should restore the computer back to factory default on the new hard rive.

buel 19:32 15 Sep 2014

Hi all and thank you so much for the help.

I used Acer's own software to restore the laptop to it's factory settings. I then used Acronis to clone the HD (160GB) to a newer refurbished 250GB HD.

The performance is now so much faster than the old Hd that I am genuinely surprised. Two questions: 1. Would this be down the fact that the newer HD may run at a faster speed? (Old HD about 7 - 10 years old, newer refurbished HD maybe 2 -3) 2. I haven't seen any HD errors and Defraggler says the disc health is 'Good', whereas it said the old disc had 'Error' in red. Am I right in thinking that cloning the HD would NOT transfer any HD errors?

lotvic 20:30 15 Sep 2014

AFAIK the SMART error message means the harddrive has a physical fault (bad sectors etc), so obviously that can't be transferred to a different drive. This ClickHere explains a bit about it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone