Acer laptop alarm problem

sativa-joe 21:47 12 Jul 2008

Hi,I have recently purchased a second hand Acer Ferrari laptop (stunning condition),and with the help of you guy's on here i have upgraded the RAM myself,i do now have a further annoying problem though,when i received the laptop i did a system restore with the supplied discs,i have now put on all my programmes and data and am extremely happy with this laptop BUT,if i close the lid (hibernate) on battery power and start up again on battery power no problems (exactly the same with the main plugged in),but if i open the laptop on battery power,then plug in the mains then close the lid (hibernate) upon restart i get an alarm sound from the laptop,if i then press the power button and restart, it all starts normally,my wife had a very similar problem when we bought her Acer,because hers was under warrenty it went back to Acer and they reset the alarms?,it sounds very much like mine is doing the same,but can i do this myself?,or it it a case of sending mine back to Acer for them to do it and charging me?,you guy's were a great help with the RAM,here's to hoping you can again help me with this problem please?.Thanks in anticipation

woodchip 21:52 12 Jul 2008

Hardly worth buying second had at this price, on Wednesday Makro Warehouse as a Acer Laptop with Athlon Duo CPU 17ins monitor Multi DVD writer and 1Gbram 80Gb Hard Drive for I think its £245 plus vat

gengiscant 21:56 12 Jul 2008

control panel/power options..its in there.
I think.

woodchip 21:58 12 Jul 2008

Could also be in the BIOS under Power

sativa-joe 07:36 13 Jul 2008

thanks for the replies,i did look in control panel/power options,but it is not there,i have not looked in BIOS to be honest as i thought that was only for the more experienced?,any chance someone could give me a brief discription of getting into BIOS and where it would be in there please?

Halmer 07:41 13 Jul 2008

always makes an alarm sound when I plug in the mains when it is running on battery. It also does it if you pull the mains out leaving it to run on battery.

I thought that this was normal?

woodchip 16:17 13 Jul 2008

Try tapping Del key as comp boots, instructions on first page on how to use it. As you do not have a mouse in BIOS. Its all keyboard

woodchip 16:18 13 Jul 2008

PS if you make changes you have to save for them to take effect next time you boot

sativa-joe 08:08 14 Jul 2008

well managed to get into the BIOS settings,but to be honest i could not find anything there to do with the alarm settings?,lots of everything else,but nothing for settings,might try phoning Acer customer services to see if they can guide me,really do appreciate the replies though Thank-You

Graham. 08:26 14 Jul 2008

Control Panel, Power options? You can often specify what will happen under certain conditions.

sativa-joe 14:01 14 Jul 2008

Hi Graham...
In control panel i only have the options to change low battery (10%) and critical battery (3%) settings,not the option to re-set any of the alarms...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires