Acer laptop 5920 Start up problems

Wrighty 01:00 04 Jul 2008

Hi there,

acer laptop only 4 months old. The laptop worked fine when new. Now suddenly it won't start up/power up,or it will start all by itself then stop before anything begins, i.e. screen lits up or windows starts.

I have run Anti Virus/stinger added service pack 1 today which I noticed had been tried to be installed a few weeks ago and failed but if laptop would not start or it did not fully shutdown this could have been a problem.

I checked all power management settings. The laptop did start and try to load windows then just switched off and when i did eventually get it to power up I did a repair to try to fix any problems. Once it is running it is OK it is just getting it to start.

Whilst writing this the laptop has just begun to start all by itself and then stop after a few seconds. I never touch the laptop or moved it nothing it did it all by itself. The laptop belongs to my Nephew and he said it just started doing this all by itself, but as you all know 90% of all computer problems are human error.

Any help would be appreciated.

Wrighty

Gordon999 14:05 04 Jul 2008

Hi Wrighty,

Have you tried to restore it to an early time when you know it worked.

Try THe Last Known Good Configuration during boot (F8) whilst booting

Wrighty 16:07 04 Jul 2008

Hi Gordon,

No restore points only the one i made after the repair and when I put Service ack 1 onto laptop.

I just spoke to Nephew and he said no-one messed about with it. I am not so sure. My Laptop is 7 months old and I have plenty of restore points on mine.

Will try the Last good config if i can get it to power up that is.

Thanks anyway much appreciated.

woodchip 16:10 04 Jul 2008

Starting on its own is linked to the BIOS settings. You need to check what is starting it in BIOS. Disable all the items that start the laptop like lan etc

Wrighty 20:24 06 Jul 2008

Hi Woodchip,

Just to say that even lifting the laptop or turning it starts the laptop then it just switches off. It's trying to start then stops the screen does not even display anything before it dies.

Would this be the Bios setting or not.

Thanks

Wrighty

ronalddonald 21:14 06 Jul 2008

Try to do a frehs reinstall of winodws but first try to back up all data onto a drive pen. Instead of doing a repair do a fresh compy of windows and c if that resolves the isuue. Also can you have a look at the ram how much is in the computer maybe you need at least 2gb.

After youve done a fresh install go to add/remove programs and remove progrrams that you dont use and the exdtra ones provided from acer. good luck in your mission

woodchip 21:48 06 Jul 2008

looks like a Hardware problem, may be a lose connection

Wrighty 13:12 07 Jul 2008

Hi there,

System has 2gb ram, any way Acer has said to return it under warranty.

Will let you all know what the fault was.

Thanks everyone for you help

Wrighty

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?