Acer L3600 Bios flash worries.

Epirb406 19:13 03 Dec 2008

Hi All,

I have, as some of you may have noticed been trying to upgrade the RAM on my media PC.

I am sure sure that the selected RAM should work, my manual says it should and my vendor says it should, but it doesn't. No post, no boot, no beeps no nothing!

It has been suggested that flashing the bios is the way ahead and I can see the sense in that .

However, I can find no step by step instructions from Acer on this, only dire warnings about a lack of warranty support if it goes wrong.

I have also found a good number of forums where people have bricked similar units flashing the bios.

I am nervous, can I upgrade to RO1-BO without killing my machine? if so, how!!?!?!?

Anyone come across any useful info, support for this fantastic little machine seems a little thin on the ground.

Thanks all, Epirb.

Epirb406 19:12 06 Dec 2008

Thanks Cream, are we pretty sure that this is the problem? I know that it is the case with the old 184 pin desktop RAM, hence all the cheap server RAM on Ebay.

Just suprised as this RAM is showing up as compatible on a few memory sites.

Are you sure enough for me to demand a refund? Would updating the BIOS allow me to use high density RAM?

Cheers, Epirb.

cream. 19:21 06 Dec 2008

If an update system configuration in the bios, shut down and then install new ram and a fresh boot does not show the ram Or a shut down, add new ram, clear cmos and fresh boot does not show new ram. I would say it is the high density ram that is causing the problem.

To be sure you could consult the manual, if you have one and check the specification of the chips compatable to the motherboard. See if 128M x 64 is shown. The fact that only 2Gb max for the board is a indication of the limitations of the motherboard.

The acer site gives no indication to the reason why a bios upgrade has been released but on the other hand a 2Gb limit was the max with both the first and the second bios's.

Epirb406 20:03 06 Dec 2008

A lack of any sensible documentation for this unit is, I think at the root of all my problems! The manual really is no more than a quick start guide.

I am going to go for the clear CMOS at upgrade time option, but I am going to do it tomorrow, in daylight. Don't know why but actions after dark are never as reliable!

Thanks for your help so far, you obviously have the knowledge I need. I hope you are about tomorrow for progress reports!

Brgds, Epirb.

woodchip 20:07 06 Dec 2008

May cost more than buying some different Ram, by flashing BIOS

Epirb406 15:55 07 Dec 2008

Cleared cmos, installed new RAM, No boot.

No Beep, no nothing........

Any more clues?

Yours, rather despondent, Epirb.

cream. 16:29 07 Dec 2008

Check in the bios that the ram settings are for SPD e.g. autodetect.

Epirb406 16:51 07 Dec 2008

Doesn't seem to be an option for ram detection, only time it is mentioned is in the basic bios setup where it confirms quantity.

Fast boot is set to off.

Speed test is the only option which I need to check further, t is set to off.

What do you make of it??

'pirb

Epirb406 17:16 07 Dec 2008

Speed test, I meant speed step, I also missed an i in that paragraph so it made no sense at all! Screaming three year old anyone?

?!?!?

Epirb406 17:54 07 Dec 2008

click here

See why I am a little nervous??

cream. 09:47 08 Dec 2008

"only time it is mentioned is in the basic bios setup"

Will that not alter to SPD?

" where it confirms quantity."

Is it registering the 2Gb in post and bios setup or will it not post with the 2Gb inserted?

The link to the bios flash does not show what the flash is for and it seems to be a dicey flash.

still think it's because of the high density ram.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5T review: Hands-on

Illustrator Andrés Lozano on his improv line work, brazen use of colours & hand sketching

iPhone X review

Comment envoyer gratuitement des gros fichiers ?