Acer Aspire wireless connection problem

Nickthedaddy 21:41 18 Aug 2015

Hi,

I have a laptop that I cant get to connect to the internet. My home wireless router is visible from the laptop but it will only connect with "limited Connectivity" and states the network is "unidentified". When I connect direct to the router with a cable I can connect to the net fine. I have recently restored the laptop to factory settings to try to fix with no success and every forum I have been on hasn't helped so far. I am running Vista if it helps.

Any help would be much appreciated as i am at the end of My tether!

Thanks

Nick

Govan1x 23:25 18 Aug 2015

Are you using Virginmedia by any chance.

If so you have to set the router to 2.4 Ghz as older laptops will not work if the router is connected to 5Ghz.

morddwyd 09:55 19 Aug 2015

If you've reset you may need to update your network adaptor driver.

Aspires can have different adaptors, so go into Device Manager and find out which one you have and then update it.

It might be worth your while to go to the Acer website and check what updates are available.

Nickthedaddy 20:13 19 Aug 2015

Hi, I'm on BT not Virgin so unless they have similar problems it cant be that. The wireless adaptor also has the latest driver loaded to it so again it cant be that......

I have tried everything I can think of. the adaptor must be working to see the network, there is just something stopping it connecting properly. I haven't loaded any virus software yet so cant be that. I even disabled windows firewall briefly to check but that didn't work either.

Nick

Govan1x 23:22 19 Aug 2015

Maybe check your Router to see if you also get the 5ghz on it the same as VM.

If so you would normally get DNS error when the laptop fails to connect.

Has the laptop been able to connect to wireless before if so is it a new router that you have.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?