acer aspire sa90

plymouth1971 17:04 24 Jun 2011

after doing a restore to factory settings on my acer aspire sa90 i switched it back on, it went through the start up as per normal, the screen then went blank with the message out of range. how do i sort this problem out?

chub_tor 17:17 24 Jun 2011

This is a fairly common problem but most people never get to see it...it simply occurs if the signal from the video adapter exceeds the scan range of the monitor,meaning the video adapter setting for updating the screen (the refresh rate) is incompatible with the monitor.

This will normally occur when you add new hardware or will show up out of the blue due to a driver not loading properly during boot-up...

This is easily fixed by one of two methods

1. Restart the computer, and while it is restarting, press F8 until the Startup menu appears. Press 3, and then press ENTER to start the computer in Safe mode.
    1. Right-click the desktop, click Properties, and then click Settings.
    2. Click Advanced, click Adapter, and then click Adapter Default from the Refresh Rate list.
  2. Click OK, click OK again, and then click Yes to restart the computer in Normal mode. You can set the colors and screen area to your preferences under Display Properties. If this works, you should then download and install the latest drivers for your video card and monitor...and disregard the 2nd step. If the first option does not work for you then carry on with #2, which will basically remove and reinstall the video adapter and drivers...

2:

1. Restart the computer, and while it is restarting, press F8 until the Startup menu appears. Press 3, and then press ENTER to start the computer in Safe mode.
    1. Right-click the desktop, click Properties, and then click Settings.
    2. Click Advanced, click Adapter, and then click Change.
  2. Click Next, and then click Display a list of all the drivers in a specific location, so you can select the driver you want.
    1. Click Next, click Show all hardware, and then click Standard display types under Manufacturers.
    2. Click Standard Display Adapter (VGA), and then click Next.
    3. Click Yes, click Next, click Finish, and then click Yes to restart the computer.
    4. After the computer starts, right-click the desktop, click Properties, and then click Settings.
    5. Click 256 colors, click Apply, and then restart the computer.
    6. After the computer starts, click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, and then double-click System.
    7. Click Device Manager, click View devices by type, and then click Display adapters.
    8. Click Standard Display Adapter (VGA), click Remove, and then click OK.
    9. Install all updated drivers. ......................
  ltmc123 21:05 26 Jun 2011

Hi I am having the same problem. I did a factory restore as I am giving my old pc away as I have bought a laptop and thought it was the quickest, easiest way to get all my stuff off the computer. I did my restore by going to start menu because I didn't have a restore disk. The restore seemed to work fine but when rebooting the above happened. I cannot start the computer in any of the safe modes because it comes up with a message saying 'cannot complete installation, please restart windows normally to continue installing Windows' and then it restarts and I am back to square 1 again. please help. Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?