Acer Aspire reinstall

egapup 18:58 02 Dec 2008

My daughter needs to reinstall windows on her Acer Aspire SA85 but there wasn't a XP disk supplied with it, is there a recovery partition on her hard drive and if so which keys will activate it. Thanks for looking.

Jollyjohn 19:53 02 Dec 2008

There should be a Recovery CD that you boot from and this accesses the recovery partition.
There may also be a "run once" program that will create this recovery CD or a backup of the system.

Jollyjohn 20:04 02 Dec 2008

Also try Alt +F10 whilst booting up.

egapup 20:44 02 Dec 2008

Thanks, i'll let her know.....she lives down under.

tullie 21:53 02 Dec 2008

She should have been asked to make a recovery cd when the machine was first switched on.

Sea Urchin 23:57 02 Dec 2008

Alt+F10 will get you to the Acer eRecovery Utility where you will options to

1 Create a backup

2 Restore from backup

3 Create factory default image CD

4 Re-Install bundled software without CD

5 Change Acer eRecovery password

(The default password is 000000 (six zeros)

dms_05 14:42 03 Dec 2008

Acer stopped supplying Recovery CD's several years ago and went to their eRecovery method. It is actually much faster than using a CD and I can re-install Vista in its default state in about 5 minutes. Then you have all the SP1 updates to download!

chub_tor 16:55 03 Dec 2008

If you were to buy Acronis True Image and clone your drive regularly to an external source you wouldn't have to download the SP1 updates and all your programme updates when you make the reinstall.

mooly 17:40 03 Dec 2008

Acer ( on my Aspire notebook anyway ) had a backup utility just like Acronis. It images the HDD to the D partition, full backups, incrementals, differentials, all there.
Do you have anything like that on your machine in the ERecovery stuff ?
When I upgraded to Vista with the "free" offer I lost that. I was annoyed because Acer said on the FAQ's that Vista had it's own similar backup utility which was why no Acer version was provided with the Acer/Vista upgrade kit.
That was not true but that's another story. I use Acronis now anyway. It's brilliant.

egapup 20:55 03 Dec 2008

Thanks for all that....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Nokia 8 vs Galaxy S8

Best new design books 2017: From vintage infographics to the the psychology of type

iMac 21.5-inch (2017) review

Nokia 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie