Acer aspire laptop 5920G Acer Recovery Mgmt

anniesboy68 19:53 04 Apr 2009

This question is directed to an Acer user, if possible. Have just purchased second hand [used]. I'm a little confused over backup arrangments,i.e Acer eRecovery Management.I've created a recovery disk "Factory defalt disk" which works as I had to do a recovery. Am I right in assuming that the Full backup, with the option to do a fast back up later creats a recovery disk INCLUDING all the applications/windows updates etc etc. AB68

rickf 23:15 04 Apr 2009

Hi,
I believe so. I have created backup discs as well in case I wish to return to Vista later as I have downgraded to XP Home today. REason being Vista was giving me a lot of problems with my recording software.

mooly 07:53 05 Apr 2009

The Acer recovery options on my Aspire (originally XP... ) allowed you to create a Factory default disc as you say. This was an image of how it came "out of the box" on day one including all bundled applications.
Have you tried entering in the "search box" "Acer" as a full user manual should be there as a pdf document (on mine anyway) detailing all the recovery options.
Acers have a recovery partition which if you can access windows is your best bet for a clean factory install. From within windows pressing "alt" and "F10" on the Aspire took you to ERecovery.
If you want to perform backups that include all windows updates etc and anything you add, use the Erecovery image back up tools to create running incremental backups that are disc images... just like Acronis does.
See if the manual is installed though... plenty to read.

Quiet Life 16:45 05 Apr 2009

Re earlier thread on similar subject I can clarify some incorrect points I made. I did not get any replies re my questions on cluster sizes and did a work around using XXclone by cloning C to D formatting C with 4kb clusters and then cloning D back to C. All worked fine but then I decided to incorporate the 5gb restore partiion into D partition aand although it seemed OK Windows would not load with a missing dll file message. What I discovered on using the the 1st recovery disc again was that it only restores C drive exactly as it was from new in FAT 32. It does not restore the hidden recovery partiton, which I had almagamated into D, or effect D at all. I used free program EASEUS Partiton Manager to change C to NFTS and created a third partiton in which I backed up C, using XXclone, after installing various programs and files etc.
I have used XXclone for a couple of years, it is free,and it has worked twice for me on another computer when XP failed. Hopefully I should not need the Acer recovery disc again. Disc 1 never called for Disc 2 so it was not used. I do not know what was on Disc 2 but nothing seems to be missing

mooly 17:48 05 Apr 2009

I follow what you have done, and I think your saying that by having merged the recovery partition that that is no longer functional as such.
So the recovery disc only rebuilt the C partition. Does the ERecovery (if it has it ?) still work OK with NFTS.
Sounds like you have got a result anyway... and you learn a lot doing stuff like this. Well done !

anniesboy68 19:45 05 Apr 2009

Ok, thanks, will have a close read of all this asap. Thanks againall who have contributed, so far!.

Quiet Life 21:26 05 Apr 2009

E recovery is contained in the hidden partition so it went when I deleted and merged that partition. Apart from creating the original recovery discs I had never used it. I rely on XXclone and update laptop files from main computer using Laplink. It is a never ending learning curve.

anniesboy68 14:04 06 Apr 2009

Is this XXClone compatable with Vista then???

Quiet Life 23:22 06 Apr 2009

XXclone is not compatable with Vista. I had ditched Vista and reinstalled XP.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone