Acer aspire 7520 laptop

howard64 14:02 03 Mar 2011

I have been asked to look at the above - it was working normally then suddenly the screen went completely white then totally black and nothing works. I have connected an external monitor and after the laptop has had the power key pressed by pressing the function key and f5 it causes the external monitor indicator light to change from orange to green. This indicates to me that the laptop is live but not outputting anything. There are no beeps but various lights flicker from time to time. Could anyone suggest what I could try to sort this out or do you think that something serious has died? It is a few years old and came with vista installed. Laptops are not things that I normally delve into. Thanks in advance.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:25 03 Mar 2011

Graphics chip overheat is my best guess.

Strip and clean all vents and fans, retry

woodchip 16:33 03 Mar 2011

As above. But before you do anything try Removing the Hard Drive, try it without it in and see if it will go to BIOS settings if it does, then try refitting the drive

woodchip 16:35 03 Mar 2011

Drive under a Plat at the bottom or could be in the edge of Laptop

woodchip 16:35 03 Mar 2011

Drive under a Plate at the bottom or could be in the edge of Laptop

howard64 17:38 03 Mar 2011

Does anyone know where to download a 'how to remove hard drive for this laptop.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:00 03 Mar 2011

Remove HDD bay cover, remove the small screw which is down the side of the caddy and then slide the caddy and remove,

Quiller. 20:53 03 Mar 2011

page 62 click here

howard64 09:24 04 Mar 2011

thanks Dick Tattor this tells me lots. I have noticed that the cooling fan spins when I first switch on but stops almost immediately. Could the problem be that the fan stopping causes the system to shut down to stop it burning out?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:29 04 Mar 2011

Yes

howard64 06:56 05 Mar 2011

with both sticks of ram taken out the fan spins continuously. I have also removed the hard drive and the wireless card. There are no beeps at any time nor any flicker to the screen or external monitor by pressing fn and f5. It is begining to look as though it is either the mobo or cpu and if so not worth spending any money on a 4 year old laptop.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?