Acer Aspire 7004

kimtrnc 05:04 29 Oct 2007

This machine looks like a very good buy. anybody got one? Also, specs all mention wifi, but does it also have ethernet, please
TIA Kim

crosstrainer 05:45 29 Oct 2007

Has wi-fi, and Vista home premium, you don't want basic...and I would ask how much for an extra 1gb of ram to bring it up to 2gb, otherwise Vista will run like a snail...apart from that not bad.

crosstrainer 05:45 29 Oct 2007

The link:

click here

Taff™ 06:49 29 Oct 2007

The Acer Aspire 7004 isn`t bad but as crosstrainer states would benefit from 2GB RAM. This one click here at £380 comes from a recommended e-seller but note contains two sticks of 512Mb both of which would need to be replaced with 1Gb - when I last checked this would cost about £90. Also note the processor is an AMD Sempron.

Crosstrainers link is undoubtedly a better model with Home Premium as well as the faster AMD Turion processor. Note however that many of these 17" models in this price range offer battery life of only 1.5 hours at best - this will reduce to below 1 hour within the first year of ownership.

Take a look at this PC World Offering click here at just £70 more. An Intel dual core with 120Gb HDD and Vista Premium with 2GB RAM.

I can vouch for the Aspire 7003 (previous model to the one you`re looking at) when it ran on XP - supplied one to a mate of mine and he`s very pleased with it although it is always plugged into the mains.

One of his friends wanted the 7004 and I sent them to PC World for the Fujitsu based on sheer value for money. I set it up for them last week and it is excellent. Minor problem with the wireless not connecting automatically but otherwise an excellent screen and battery life on full screen brightness is just over 1.5 hours. Note however that unlike the Aspire models the keyboard was not full size. (It doesn`t have the numeric keypad extension, only the function key options like a normal laptop) I found it a little strange because there was obviously plenty of room for it and the normal laptop keyboard looks a little lost in all that space.

The Fujitsu can be a little hard to track down for collect at store - they had to try several days on the trot before one came into stock. Worth taking a look at though.

kimtrnc 10:00 29 Oct 2007

thanks guys - you always come up trumps! Now I just need to learn how to work Vista.....!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?