Acer aspire 5715Z new hard drive

hvs 21:57 16 Jan 2014

I want to replace my hard drive with a larger one of 320gb. I bought one and installed it went through the entire process of reinstalling vista from the recovery DVD 's which I made when I first bought my laptop. The hard drive is a western digital. I kept on getting an error message" windows could not configure windows to run on this pc's hardware. I tried this 3 times. I called acer for advice but they could not help . I called Western Digital and I was told that maybe the port speed was faster then what the mother board could handle. No-one can give me a specific reason why this is. I tookmthe hard drive back to the store . Could you tell me how I can find out what hard drive is compatible for my acer? Pentium M T2310 1.46ghz . To make sure that the recovery discs where ok I reinstalled the OS on the hard drive and it worked perfectly! Your help would be very much appreciated. Thks.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:10 16 Jan 2014

Problem can occur if your system has an Intel storage controller that is configured to "RAID" mode in the BIOS. (This is a standard setting for many PC manufacturers) - check your BIOS settings

or

The hard drive you are installing to is an "Advanced Format" disk, which have a physical sector size of 4 kilobytes and a logical emulated sector size of 512 bytes.

Advanced Format is a new technology being adopted by PC manufacturers to increase media format efficiency which will lead to larger capacity hard drives. If you are replacing a hard drive in an older PC, you may be more likely to encounter this issue. - Make sure any drive you buy is NOT "Advanced Format"

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone