Acer Aspire 5612WMLi + MS Wireless Keyboard+Mouse

NigelUK 20:03 21 Oct 2006

Hi,

This is my 1st post - hope someone has some advice for me.

I have an Acer Aspire 5612 and it's a great laptop. I have recently bought the Microsoft Wireless Optical Desktop 1000 and since installing, the screensaver will no longer kick in. I have uninstalled the MS software and it starts working again.

Any suggestions - I'm stumped, but I would prefer to keep the new keyboard if possible.

Thanks
Nige.

Technotiger 20:21 21 Oct 2006

Hi, with the MS Software installed, have you tried re-setting your screensaver?

Cheers

woodchip 20:35 21 Oct 2006

I have had same problem with optical mouse, they conflict with touch pad

Whaty 10:47 22 Oct 2006

Morning.. I have an Aspire 5512 with exactly the same keyboard & mouse.

There is a MS Knowledge Base article that refers to this issue (KB911895).

"When you use a Microsoft Wireless Optical Desktop mouse that uses MS Intellipoint software on a MS Win XP Service Pack 2 (SP-2) based computer, you may notice that the screen saver of your computer does not work even though it is configured to run"

The problem seems to be linked to the DVD Launcher services and the article suggests you disable this function, however, this appears to be integeral part of the Acer Arcade software and therefore, without losing some of Arcade software features it can't be done (well, I wasn't able to do it anyway..!), in the end there was always a compromise.

I've found that the keyboard & mouse work perfectly well without the software, you lose some of the shortcut key functions on the keyboard but not all, this is the compromise I eventually accepted.

Hope this helps,
Terry

Whaty 10:52 22 Oct 2006

I too posted a thread on this problem...

click here

Terry

NigelUK 11:14 22 Oct 2006

Thanks everybody for your responses.

Whaty, thanks for pointing me at your thread. I'm going to go and uninstall the intellitype software now - I'm not too bothered with losing the extra buttons.

Thanks for all your help.

Nige.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone