Acer Aspire 1650 Laptop Making Whirring Noise

CMC 42 13:45 05 Aug 2008

My Dad switched his Acer Aspire 1650 laptop on yesterday morning to a very loud whirring clicking noise (sort of like a helicopter).

When he tried it again in the evening it was fine.

Switching it on this morning though it made the noise again and then degenerated into a noise like an electric razor when Windows had finished loading.

Switching it off and turning the laptop upside down before turning it back over and switching it on again seems to have stopped it from making the noise.

Is the fan on it's way out though as that is where the noise seems to be coming from?

Thanks in advance. :-)

Eric10 14:29 05 Aug 2008

It could be a cooling fan but it could also be be the hard drive as these can become noisy prior to failing. I would recommend making a backup immediately to protect yourself.

"degenerated into a noise like an electric razor when Windows had finished loading"

Hard drive activity reduces after Windows has finished loading so this is consistent with a failing HDD. Watch the hard drive light and see if the reduction of noise coincides with the point where the light stops flashing.
On the other hand, fan noise can reduce after the fan has been running for a period of time so it can be difficult to decide.

CMC 42 19:36 05 Aug 2008

Thanks for the advice :-)

I can't tell whether it is the HDD or the Fan as it currently isn't making that noise.

I did suggest to my Dad at one point that it could be the HDD before I put my post here, but the noise SEEMS to be coming from where the grill for the fan is.

Jack-O-nory 11:57 08 Feb 2009

I know this thread is a bit old, but just in case it helps in getting something out of Acer, my Acer Aspire 5672WLMi is also doing the same!

The noise is DEFINITELY coming from the fan area. I even opened up the back and turned it on and the noise is defo fan related.

I've tried the turning it upside down method and it works sometimes and other times not!

I now keep regular backups of all my rubbish that i store on the laptop!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?