Acer aspire 1353XC-hard disk upgrade.

PC Plodder. 14:01 07 Nov 2008

Ive been given this laptop its 5 years old but literally only been used a handfull of times so must be in excellent condition.
Ive upgraded the original 256 RAM to 1 GIG thats the easy bit but how do i remove the hard disk for upgrade ? And am i right in saying the acer recovery disks supplied with the machine will install the operating system on to the new disk ?
Ive seen some copying software for the programs on the machine but ive no experience with this sort of thing so want to keep things as simple as i can. Thanks in advance.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:22 07 Nov 2008

Simplest option is to get Acronis True Image and take an image of your old drive and the restore it to the new drive.
Then op system, drivers, programs data, music and photos will all work exactly as before.

Not sure where the drive is on your model but click here shows how on a 5100

FreeCell 14:37 07 Nov 2008

Agree with Fruit Bat that using disk image rather than recovery discs is the best approach. Could also consider Paragon Disk Manager often found on cover discs.

Recovery discs sometimes relay on the key files to rebuild the operating system being in a hidden partition on the disc. If you replace the disc without using a disc image then this partition will be missing and recovery fails. Depends on whether your recovery discs contain the full system.

Manual for Aspire 1350 click here. Shows Hard drive as different from the 5100 so not as obvious how you access it. Usually some sort of cover unscrews but in some cases you need to remove the whole bottom of the laptop to access the hard drive.

cream. 14:38 07 Nov 2008

Turn the computer upside down. At the bottom right there will be 2 screws ( vertically )on the side of the machine. Undo these screws. Pull off the plate and you have access to the hard drive. It will either just pull out or have a retaining clip.

Ryanmt 14:38 07 Nov 2008

I would fit the new hdd then try the recovery disks. These should restore everything to fresh factory settings. If not try Fruit Bats method, it can be a bit faffy at time backing up gbs of data then restoring them although it will definitely work. Just make sure it copies over the MBR (master boot record)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?