Acer 5024wlmi laptop

hunted 20:04 16 Jan 2008

Hello

We have this acer laptop between 2/3 yrs old, recently about a week ago during normal working operation the laptop will freeze & the mouse pointer on the screen will disappear & basically you are made helpless. Even after pressing esc, or ctrl, alt, & del will do nothing. I have to keep my finger pressed for a few seconds on the on/off button & force it to switch off.
It has done this about 1/2 a dozen times since a week ago, anybody with any ideas appreciated as dont know what it might be.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:25 16 Jan 2008

FReezing PC

1. Overheat due to faulty / blocked fans

2. PSU voltages

3. Household power surges fridge etc switching on/off

4. faulty memory stick try memtest click here

5. virus or spyware scan for both especially if shutting down with in a few minutes of switch on or internet use

6. driver conflicts especially grahics cards get the latest drivers for your equipment

hunted 20:42 17 Jan 2008

Thanks for your reply. My reply to your suggestions are as follows:
When it overheats it does shut off by itself, but the recent freeze ups are happening even when switching the acer from cold.
Power surges i cant comment as everything is same in the household even the fridge freezer etc.
Got the same graphic card as the one supplied originally with the machine.
I'll investigate your suggestions, thanks once again, let you know when i find the fault.

hunted 19:59 19 Mar 2008

I'm trying to give it the memtest after doing the free download onto a cd. Unfortunately when i switch on the laptop with the cd already inside it starts booting & within a matter of minute or two the laptop switches itself off, therefore not allowing me to carry out this test.So not sure whether i'll be able to carry out this much needed test. All other suggestions tried & ruled out.

hunted 11:51 23 Mar 2008

Also has anyone opened up one of these from the under side as the fan hasnt been quiet for a while as it makes a whiring noise which fluctuates (sound level). I took all the screws out from underneath yesterday & tried to unclip it round the edges which was succesful but @ the front (central) I couldnt get it to release as well & also @ the sides @ the back. I put it back together as didnt want to break it as not sure whether there are any other hidden screws to undo?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?