Accidentally deleted from task manager, help pleas

gazmix 10:16 29 Jun 2016

I tried to unintelligible my antivirus, rebooted pc now it's still in system tray also I can't access the net. I launch browser, Google homepage arrives but if I type in address, hit return, the address disappears and nothing happens. Have done system restore.In task manager the biggest entry is drwtsn32.exe. Can anyone help please

gazmix 10:52 29 Jun 2016

I've done erupt backup, many restores etc. On both browsers Google homepage arrives but when I type a url or something in Google search nothing happens.

gazmix 10:54 29 Jun 2016

I've done erupt backup, many restores etc. On both browsers Google homepage arrives but when I type a url or something in Google search nothing happens. Also socket error 10107 in mail

gazmix 11:57 29 Jun 2016

When I start Internet Explorer the diagnosis tool says it could be a firewall issue, I've tried unintelligible the firewall but some files can't be deleted. All past restore points won't now work

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:37 29 Jun 2016

Do you mean uninstall your antivirus?

Which antivirus and what operating system?

gazmix 12:54 29 Jun 2016

The pc is an old compaq pc running xp. The avira antivir was taking its toll on old pc by its updates, pc making noise etc so was looking for one with lighter resources. I'm thinking it's a firewall problem as when I start my browser and type a url or into Google then hit return, the text dissappears and nothing happens.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:17 29 Jun 2016

avira removal from XP

1. Click on: Start → Settings → Control Panel → Add or Remove Programs.
  2. Search the Avira product and click on Remove.
  3. Confirm the following product uninstall notification with Yes.
  4. Confirm the activation of the Windows Firewall with Yes.
  5. The Avira Setup will take some minutes to uninstall the product.
  6. Confirm the notification to restart your system with Yes.
  7. After the reboot of your PC the Avira product is completely removed.

If you have done all of the above then temporarily disable windows firewall (it's useless anyway as it only stops incoming not out going.)

Open Windows Firewall by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking Security, and then clicking Windows Firewall. Click Turn Windows Firewall on or off. ... Click Off, and then click OK.

gazmix 13:19 29 Jun 2016

Also the highest use in task manager is drwtsn32.exe which I can't say I've noticed before

gazmix 14:12 29 Jun 2016

Ok I will do this in an hour on my return. I have tried to uninstall via the method you say also via the ' uninstall link in the programmes list with no luck. Also each time I reboot, my desktop is covered in what look like corrupted thumbnails jpeg and bmp that have strange names like #$$~ etc

gazmix 16:25 29 Jun 2016

Hi fruit bat, I did an Erunt register too and nothing. There are no signs of Avira in add/remove programmes

gazmix 16:53 29 Jun 2016

Even though there is no sign of Avira in add/remove programmes, when I do a search via start>search>for files and folders>all files and folders, there is a huge list of Avira stuff

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?