Accessing WiFi Hotspots

iconoclast 18:20 17 Jan 2007

I sometimes get a very strong signal at an unsecured WiFi hotspot but when I try to access it, I get an error message of 'Limited or No Connectivity'. Sometimes this is overcome by asking Windows to 'repair' the link...what's going on here?

Technotiger 18:28 17 Jan 2007

Hi, do you actually know the owner of the unsecured hotspot? Unless you have the owners permission to connect, you are breaking the law.
If you do know the owner and have permission, then it is the owner who should correct any problem.

iconoclast 18:42 17 Jan 2007

The problem is at an hotel where I stay regularly - the WiFi is available free to guests who are given an access password. But nobody at the hotel seems either competent (or bothered) to sort the problem out

Technotiger 19:06 17 Jan 2007

OK fine, the hotel staff running the Router could reset the Router simply by disconnecting its' Power, waiting ten seconds and then reconnecting the power - this may be all that is needed to do a 'repair' or more accurately a reset. This is what I have done on occasion with my small home network, when it gave the same symptons when re-connecting a laptop.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?