Accessing specs via bios - monitor or graphics?

flicb 15:47 13 Jan 2007

I am currently trying to get the specs of a base unit which has had the hard disk removed.

From what I understand, I should be able to do this by booting up as normal, and watching the screen...

The monitor I am trying to use has DVI and VGA ports (and I've got both types of cables). Graphics card is radeon 8600 series as far as I remember, and has both types of connectors too.

The problem is that whilst I'm hearing the appropriate single beep from the base unit (which suggests the bios is working fine), I'm not getting anything on the monitor (it says no signal)...but I usually don't get a signal with this monitor until I get to windows (even with my more up to date base unit).

Does anyone have ideas as to what I could try/which connection might be best to use, etc?

I do also have a laptop - is there any way I could connect that up and get the specs, bearing in mind there's no hard disk in the old base unit?

Is there anything I could do with the floppy disks I've got lying around if it's a monitor driver issue? (really grasping at straws here).

Thanks for any help!

flicb

terryf 15:51 13 Jan 2007

I doubt that there is any way without a hard drive and OS

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:11 13 Jan 2007

VGA connection and try booting to the BIOS by pressing ES Del F1 F2 as appropriate during boot up.

flicb 17:41 13 Jan 2007

Thanks Fruitbat.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone