Accessing partition d from a drive?

ms6869 12:14 18 Mar 2011

I have a laptop i need to run dos software on. The software will not communicate with the hardware via windows command prompt, it needs to be true dos.

I have an A drive which i have used to create a ms dos disc and it boots to a fine, it doesn't allow me to access my hard drive though to run the software.

My hard drive is C and is NTFS, i was told DOS wouldn't access an NTFS drive, so i have made a partition D which is FAT.

Dos still tells me that the drive is inaccessible!

Any ideas please?

james105051 13:15 18 Mar 2011

click here for a dos emulator. I use it a lot for old dos programmes and it works well.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:59 18 Mar 2011

Is your drive IDE or SATA?

ms6869 07:42 20 Mar 2011

Fruitbat,

How do i find out which one, i have just been looking through control panel but couldn't find it!

Would it make a difference which one it was?

Also the A drive is interchangeable with the D drive (cd/dvd) both of these register as usb devices, does this make any difference?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:44 20 Mar 2011

Try NTFS4DOS click here

ms6869 23:06 24 Mar 2011

I have found the answer to this problem, the new partition which i called D was not accessible from the A drive because the A drive was calling the D drive C.

Quite simply, because as mentioned previously, the A drive (DOS) didn't recognize the NTFS it overlooked it when assigning Drives. A and B were DOS, so C became the next available recognizable volume.

I just have to remember that the D Drive in windows is the C Drive in Dos.

Hope this might help somebody else in the future.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?