accessing an old hard drive

dawnal 13:03 01 Sep 2010

I have a hard drive from a Windows 98 PC. I tried replacing it in a PC running Windows XP but I just got an error message and was unable to access it. Can anyone tell me how I can access the drive?

Thanks

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:28 01 Sep 2010

What was the error message?

Did you set the jumpers to "slave postion" before installing?

dawnal 13:41 01 Sep 2010

Thanks for the response. Sorry, I can't remember what the message said. I didn't set the jumpers to slave position, I don't know how to do this. I just substituted the old drive for the one in the computer

gengiscant 13:48 01 Sep 2010

You cannot substitute one drive for another and expect it to work.

You will need to replace your original drive and then, as 'Fruit Bat /\0/\'pointed out install the windows 98 hard drive as a slave and change the jumper setting.
If you post make and model I'll find the instructions for you,but it should show you on the hard drive which pins you must put the little plastic cap over,which you will find next to the power supply pins.

Nontek 13:49 01 Sep 2010

Hi, not surprised it did not work, that was not the way to do it. The original drive with XP should be left in place, assuming it is working normally with XP. The old 98 drive should then be attached as a slave-drive internally or in a drive enclosure externally. I prefer the external connection.

I expect the old drive is set as Master with a small black plastic jumper making the Master connection - look on the back end of the drive and you should be able to see this quite clearly. The Slave position, for that jumper, is normally shown on the case of the drive somewhere near where the pins are located.

dawnal 17:32 02 Sep 2010

Thanks for the help. I was able to access the drive thanks to your advice. Much appreciated

Nontek 18:07 02 Sep 2010

Good - thanks for your feedback.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?