accessing a locked hard drive

Jsimbaz 20:11 15 Nov 2006

Hi, I have taken a HDD out of a Packard Bell iExtreme (windows xp home) desktop pc to rescue some files. Unfortunately, the user before me seems to have locked access to all the files, it seems to only be the user accounts that were passworded... any ideas as to how i can bypass the 'access denied' dialogue boxes and get the files?

Josh.

Jsimbaz 20:20 15 Nov 2006

and if it's of any relavance the iExtreme has a bios passwork present so if anyone knows what that is if its a default kinda thing then let me know

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:40 15 Nov 2006

Access Files
If you get Access Denied in WinXP Pro. Try “taking ownership” of the file/folder before it can be accessed. First of all go to Folder Options, View Tab and in the Advanced Settings at the end, untick “Use simple file sharing”, which will allow the Security Tab to be shown in the file’s properties. Also, in Folder options, make sure hidden and system files can be viewed.

To take ownership of the file (it’s best done at the folder level), right-click it, Properties, Security Tab, add your user name, fill in all the permissions and Apply. You can now access it.

Jsimbaz 22:06 15 Nov 2006

is there any way of doing this and having it applied to all files and sub-folders within the original file?

Simsy 22:43 15 Nov 2006

click here

Regards,

Simsy

Jsimbaz 22:47 15 Nov 2006

sorted thanks guys :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?