Accessing files from my older C Drive

Clav Rumbold 11:14 22 Apr 2009

Hello

I rebuilt my 5 year old machine after the cpu burnt out. New kit all round, including an Asus M3N-H/HDMI board, an Athlon X2 7750 and 2gb of RAM.

1. Re-connecting my hard drive to the system it failed to boot, and XP repair using the CD stalled. I suspected incompatibility somewhere along the line with what my old PATA HDD expected to be connected to and what it got. Or a 64 bit processor problem.

If anyone can help with this issue then that would be useful. It will save me having to re-set everything up and can rescue the odd file.

2. As a secondary measure i put a new SATA drive in and reinstalled XP. I then connected up the old HDD via USB caddy expecting to lift off the few bits i was working on when the computer crashed for the last time, and back them up in the usual way. I can see all the programs installed under that user name, and part of the desktop but no files, docs, pics etc.

Can anyone help me access these files? Is it a permissions issue that i can now override being the administrator of my new machine?

thanks for any advice - CR

OTT_Buzzard 11:32 22 Apr 2009

1. Putting a hard drive set-up to a previous pc is never easy. The Hardware Abstration Layer (HAL) will set itself up to the hardware configuration and not work well if its transferred.

2. Not sure why you can't see the files from your old ahrd drive when booting off a fresh OS.

Graphicool1 11:33 22 Apr 2009

Befor you put the old HD in with the new HD did you first change it from 'Master' to 'Slave'?

Clav Rumbold 18:53 24 Apr 2009

thanks both - i originally ran through all the various connectivity options as that's the easiest thing to check first, and have now been advised to go through the permissions options, and lifting Simple Sharing in XP.

I will update on progress.

CR

Clav Rumbold 19:01 27 Apr 2009

I used this help link to solve the permissions issue.

HOW TO: Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone