Accessing Emails on wireless network

nontechie 17:59 13 Feb 2006

We are very new to wireless networking and need some help. We bought a laptop on Saturday together with a wireless router DLink DSL-G642M. We have after 36 hours of trying managed to establish a wireless network at home with our existing PC, the laptop and the router. The only two things left for us are encryption (which I will tackle soon) and accessing our PC Outlook Express from the laptop. I'm assuming that the whole point of wireless networking is that we should be able to access our Outlook Express from the laptop also - is this correct? And if so can anybody help me. Many thanks.

ade.h 18:58 13 Feb 2006

36 hours?! You ARE new to it aren't you!

I get fed up if it takes me more than about ten minutes to set up a network, but then I'm impatient!

What do you mean by "our Outlook Express?" Are you thinking that you can access email on your laptop through the desktop? Because that isn't how these things work. Enter your mail accounts into any and all mail clients that you intend to use. The only connection that will ever be established between PCs on your network is that of File and Printer Sharing.

ade.h 19:00 13 Feb 2006

AS for security; I'm in the process of writing a guide for D-Link owners (done Belkin and Netgear so far) and if you'd like me to post a copy here when I'm done, let me know. I can give you general instructions, but they won't relate exactly to your router's config page.

Forum Editor 19:23 13 Feb 2006

you'll need to configure Outlook Express to collect your email on the laptop, in exactly the same way you configured it on your PC - same SMTP and POP3 server details, same email address, same login details. Then you'll be downloading and sending email on either machine - the one on which you launch Outlook Express first will be the one that gets the mail.

This means that you'll end up with some messages on the PC and some on the laptop.

Minkey1 20:14 13 Feb 2006

Or - if your mail comes down to OE via web based mail (e.g. BT's and others)) you can set the web server to "leave mail on..." and your email comes down to both machines. That way you don't have some on one PC and some on the other.

Mike

nontechie 22:48 13 Feb 2006

Thank you all for your replies. My OE mail is through wanadoo - is that what you would class as web based? If so, it would be really handy to have emails come down into both machines. Mike - you talk about setting the web server to "leave mail on..." would you be able to direct me a bit more on how to do this. Many thanks.

ade.h 22:56 13 Feb 2006

No, that's not what we would called webmail, though it can no doubt be accessed in this manner. Webmail is mail that you read online through a website interface, without downloading it from the server.

All mail clients, Outlook Express included, have an option to leave a copy of messages on the server. They will then stay there to be downloaded once by as many clients as you care to use. Every time you check your mail, the client will download only new messages or those that it does not already have.

ade.h 22:58 13 Feb 2006

Re: security in your D-Link router. I finished my D-Link guide earlier, so let me know via the envelope if you would like a copy. I've tried to explain the relevant settings more clearly than your manual does.

nontechie 23:10 13 Feb 2006

ade.h - sorry I also forgot to mention in my post this evening that I would really appreciate your guide for the DLink - anything to make this easier!! Going back to email as I mentioned before I'm with Wanadoo - in the past I use to sometimes access my email through the wanadoo website (ie if I was on holiday) but today when I logged on through my laptop onto the wanadoo website there was absolutely nothing in my inbox where in the past I would have had a replica of my Outlook Express inbox - am I completely missing something here that's really obvious? Or do you think my memory is not right and I was only accessing new emails on the wanadoo website? As you can tell am getting a bit confused by the meaning of webmail? Is it possible by whatever means for me to achieve my goal of being able to receive my emails on both my PC and laptop?

ade.h 23:56 13 Feb 2006

Hi. I've received your email and have sent you my security guide for D-Link routers. Let me know if you don't receive it and I'll post it here instead.

To answer your last question; yes, it is possible and usually easy to do. Just follow my earlier advice about the option to leave mail on the server.

I haven't used OE in ages! (Thunderbird has always been my preference) so I can't advise you where exactly to find that option. It may well be in the individual settings for each mail account.

To be honest, I'd advise a move to Thunderbird because it's simply better; more functional, more flexible and much nicer to use.

To clarify "webmail". True webmail services are those that are accessed exclusively or primarily on a specific website. Hotmail is the classic example of this. What you have with Wanadoo is conventional email that can, if you wish, be accessed through a webmail-style interface. That is, on the Wanadoo website rather than downloaded to your mail client. (A mail client - in case that term is new to you - is what we call Outlook Express, Thunderbird, etc.)

ade.h 23:57 13 Feb 2006

click here if you would like to try the best mail client around!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?