Accessing data on an old hard drive

Pauldunstan 09:15 12 Mar 2009

This may be a stupid question, as I'm not the most clued up person with techie issues! I have an old, very dead pc with lots of files that I wish to retrieve. I know I should have backed up but didn't.That pc was running windows XP home sp2. My newPC is runnng Vista Home Basic.I've removed the harddrive from the old pc and installed it in an external enclosure. My new pc won't read it insisting it needs formatting. Is there any way of getting to the data on it?

crosstrainer 09:21 12 Mar 2009

If the new machine say's that the hdd is in need of formatting, it's very likely that the data on it is gone.

Have you tried disconnecting the new hdd (with Vista on it) and connecting the old hdd (with xp) and tried booting from it?

bremner 09:26 12 Mar 2009

"Have you tried disconnecting the new hdd (with Vista on it) and connecting the old hdd (with xp) and tried booting from it?"

Even if the drive is seen it will almost certainly not boot as the XP installation is tied to the machine on which it was installed.

Graphicool1 10:38 12 Mar 2009

Just a thought, did you change the old HDD to 'Slave'?

Pauldunstan 10:46 12 Mar 2009

I haven't tried disconnecting the newer hard drive, as I know that the XP installation is corrupt. I haven't set the new old drive to slave. I'll try that next. Thanks for you help guys

Terry Brown 10:52 12 Mar 2009

Try a data recovery program , This is a list ofprograms, that may do the job, there is also a program called 'Recuver' which may help.
Good luck
Terry
click here

crosstrainer 11:00 12 Mar 2009

Doh! wasn't awake yet!! You could try installing the old drive in a USB caddy.

Pauldunstan 11:07 12 Mar 2009

crosstrainer, that's what I have done but when connecting it to the pc, I get the format needed box.

crosstrainer 11:46 12 Mar 2009

It's very likely that the data is gone. The only way to recover it would be to go down the road of expensive data recovery experts I'm afraid.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone