Access23.exe

gabladictum 14:20 22 Jan 2004

I am currently running MS Windows Xp Home edition.
I acces the internet via a dial-up modem.It as been working fine for nearly 9 months but just lately I keep getting a warning message from my firewall saying that access23.exe is trying to access the internet. If I do not allow it to access the internet, it clears my current connection and keeps operating and releasing my modem. Anybody got any idea what this program is and what is it trying to do.

jaydeeace 14:29 22 Jan 2004

Is your anti-virus up-to-date? If not, download the free version of AVG from click here .
I suspect that it's some sort of trojan package that dials out to premium rate/foreign numbers. I'm not an expert, and I'll defer to anyone else's superior knowledge, but it rings a bell from something I've read on one of the AV websites.

©®@$? 14:31 22 Jan 2004

search for the Access23.exe on your computer and tell us which folder it is sitting in

update antivirus and download some spyware removal tools,just to be on the safe side

gabladictum 15:04 22 Jan 2004

The file is in Documents and settings\user\local settings\temp.

I have used several anti-virus and spyware packages, but none of them see it as a problem.

Furthermore, the creation date is 22 November 2004 even though I have had no problems with my PC date set up. I even deleted it completely from my PC but it somehow managed to come back on again. I am not sure if its a virus\trojan or a genuine program gone wrong?

gabladictum 14:52 28 Jan 2004

Thanks to the above for trying to help.
To cut a long story short, I discovered that Access23.exe was linked to Wsock32.dll. Although Wsock.dll appeared fine I eventually replaced the copy in my Windows folder with a new copy.
Hey presto, the problem disappeared.

However, I,m still at a loss to what exactly the problem was.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone