Access problems to another forum

Andsome 08:30 15 Nov 2003

In common with a lot of forum members I also use other forums. Recently Windows Forum at click here used a temporary site whilst they moved to a new server. There was a page informing you of this when you attempted access, and a link was offered to the temporary site. Now when I try to gain access, I am still taken to the page stating that WF have moved to a temporary site, and the link on there takes me to a page which inform me that WF have now returned home, the link there takes me straight back to the temp page, and so on, round and round in circles. I have tried deleting all cookies, and temp INTERNET folders, and history, also files and offline content, then rebooting. I have also rebooted the cable modem. If anyone can offer help I would be most grateful. If anyone wants to talk me through any procedures and wants to e-mail their telephone number I will call them so that I pay for the call. I cannot of course re-register, because I cannot get past the temporary page. I still receive e-mailed messages informing me of new postings to threads to which I have subscribed, but the links on these e-mails also take me to the dreaded temp page

I use XP home, and have NO problems in accessing any other website in the world.

christmascracker 08:37 15 Nov 2003

Hi Andsome

Havn't got a clue what to suggest apart from what you have already done.

Try this link which I've took from the forum index page click here?

Hope this helps

Andsome 08:39 15 Nov 2003

Many thanks, but I get the same result.

christmascracker 08:43 15 Nov 2003

Have you tried a system restore?

Andsome 08:47 15 Nov 2003

As far back as it will take me, that was to Wedneday morning. The puzzling thing is that it is only the one site that is affected. I can access anything else that i want with no trouble at all.

christmascracker 08:52 15 Nov 2003

Have you tried going other routes to get to the site ie typing windows forum into google and clicking on the link

Andsome 08:58 15 Nov 2003

Yes I've tried that. I even put my nickname, andsome, into google and clicked search. It took me to a link which showed that I had made postings to WF. That same link in the past would have taken me straight to that posting in WF, now it takes me instead to the temp page. I am contemplating suicide.

christmascracker 09:00 15 Nov 2003

Hang in there someone will have a brainwave!

bvw in bristol 09:02 15 Nov 2003

Andsome,Start/Control Panel/User Accounts/Create New Account.

Log off and log on using the new user account and try entering the site then.

Not a solution but might be worth a try.

johnnyrocker 09:07 15 Nov 2003

do you have a proxy server? they may have updated their security and your prox is not recognised try placing the body of the address in your exceptions list like so *microsoft* for example.

cheers.

johnny.

Andsome 09:41 15 Nov 2003

I created a new account, but could not see how to use it, it's not something that I have done before. The problem is that I cannot access the site in queston at all. I cannot get past the temp page. I am a little afraid of locking things up if I'm not careful. I cannot create a dial up account either as I had the computer built without a dial up modem.

johnnyrocker, I don't have a proxy. I access via a cable modem with NTL, and am the only user, and access by local area network

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?