access to hdd denied

computerdiv 10:44 22 Feb 2009

Hi all,
I'm having serious trouble exploring my hdd
I keep getting the message RECYCLER\S-0-8-27-100000841-100016514-100029936-4427.COM
coming up.

please help!

Is it a virus and how do I get rid of it if it is

thankyou

bremner 10:55 22 Feb 2009

Have you run your AV and other malware apps?

Have you tried doing a system restore?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:54 22 Feb 2009

corrupt file in the recyler folder

recycler folder is where all the files go after you delete them from the recycle bin

to remove files in recycler
At a Command Prompt type issue:rd /s /q c:\recycler

computerdiv 13:32 22 Feb 2009

what's command prompt? do you mean in dos like
ipconfig

bremner 13:37 22 Feb 2009

Start > Run and then type cmd.

This gives you the command prompt.

computerdiv 13:56 22 Feb 2009

Ok, what do I do then?

computerdiv 13:59 22 Feb 2009

sorry it says "the system cannot find the file specified"

computerdiv 20:23 23 Feb 2009

Hi again,
Ive had a bit of a nightmare. When all my problems first started the firefox browser went wrong and wouldn't direct me to google automatically,
Firefox gave out an error message. "Cannot direct to home page"!
Then when I got to the google home page, and selected pc advisor I would get redirected to some other site, and have to select
back to google search page and select pc advisor again just to get to this forum.

So today I go through the above said problem to get here and the virus wouldn't let me log in to the pc advisor forum.

How wierd is that!

So I tried to do a system restore to a few days before my pc went wrong but it wouldn't allow that.

I had previously used acronis to do a back up of my C drive with win xp installed on it, so I tried to do a system restore using that and that failed as well.

So I have had to resort to running virus scanners. I use ESET as my main virus blocker and ran a scan with that. I then ran adaware as well, both of these in safe mode.

Found a few virus's but no change to hdd access and firefox browser.

I have spybot search & destroy as well but couldn't run that. I tried uninstalling it and reinstalling it, but couldn't re-install it.

I found a website that suggested using malware bytes so I downloaded that and installed it but that wouldn't update.

It listed antispyware 2008 and that had the same problem after installation.

I finally tried vondufix and that has done it. It has removed some vondu and instantly cured my hdd access.

Now I can update and install all the virus scanners.

After scanning with all of these application I better not find any viruses on my computer, but I bet there's still something lurking in there.

So if any one has this kind of problem try running Vondufix first. It's the second time I've seen it in action and it has done the buisness both times. A great bit of kit if you ask me.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?