Access external HDD from DOS

Newuser3443 07:35 11 Jul 2006

Hi,

I'm currently running Win XP Home and use PowerQuest Drive Image 2002 to make a complete backup of my C drive.

However it struck me that if my system failed to the extent that I was unable to boot to XP from C drive, how would I access my USB ports (bearing in mind the necessary drivers would not have been downloaded) in order to restore the backup?

My PC does not have a boot to USB (or external) device option in its BIOS settings.

Thanks

Rob

xania 09:01 11 Jul 2006

DOS does not support USB, so there's no help there. I don't depend upon this for my OS backup. I use a hidden partition on the hard drive. However, having said this, I've now stumbled across this
click here

xania 09:07 11 Jul 2006

and this

click here__

and this

click here.

Or try typing <bootable external hard disk> into your favourite search engine.

Newuser3443 11:40 11 Jul 2006

Thanks xania, I'll have a look this evening when I get home. The first option looks great, but rather expensive for my needs.

I was hoping that since I already use backup software and I have an external drive, that I might be able to do what was necessary with some small utility programme, but it appears not :0(

Newuser3443 12:03 11 Jul 2006

Another thought........

Is it possible to create a bootable CD (my BIOS would support this) that would include the USB drivers to allow access to my external HDD ?

UncleP 12:06 11 Jul 2006

I'm not familiar with your disk imaging software, but does it not enable you to generate a restore CD from which to boot if the internal HD has been damaged or destroyed? Rather like the bootable floppy in the old DOS days, and presumably carries the required drivers.

woodchip 12:35 11 Jul 2006

You should be able to create a DI rescue disc to run the software and it should see the first partition on the drive If comp supports the USB in BIOS,

PS BIOS does not always show but still may support it

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone