'Access Denied ...' when deleting folders

datkat 12:55 30 Nov 2003

When setting up my new PC with Windows XP Home Edition, I rather foolishly (as it turns out) tried to copy my Systems and Windows files, knowing that they would be too large for one CD-RW but expecting to be prompted to insert one or more additional CD-RWs. I now know that this technology has yet to be developed!
Having reduced the number of files waiting to be copied to CD-RW, I'm now unable to complete the task as 'Access is denied ...'.
The folders and files waiting to be copied to CD-RW are FONTS (MICROSS AND TIMESBD, True Font files of, respectively 299 KB and 328 KB) and WINDOWS with the FONTS sub-folder (ARIALBI and MICROSS files).
I have implemented, as best I can, the advice and guidance given in Microsoft Knowledge Base articles 298345 ('Access Denied' Error Message When You Try to Delete a File); 308418 (How to: Set, View, Change, or Remove Files and Folders Permissions in Windows XP); 308419 (How to: Set, View, Change, or Remove Special Permissions for Files and Folders in Windows XP); and 308421 (How to: Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP), all to no avail.
I'd appreciate any suggestions as to what else might be worth trying.
David Thompson

leo49 13:11 30 Nov 2003

If you're only copying files why does your thread title and the articles you've read refer to deleting?[which of course Windows won't allow if they're system files or in use}

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone