"Access is denied" trying to copy to CD writer

VillaGuy 00:27 23 Jan 2006

My PC used to run on Windows 98. I installed a LG CD writer a while back and it worked perfectly. A few months ago I installed an evaluation copy of XP Pro on my PC and activated it. Again, the writer worked fine. When the 120-day limit was nearly up I uninstalled XP Pro and returned to 98. However, now when I try to copy files to the CD writer, it comes up with an Error Copying file dialog box, stating "Cannot create or replace (filename/foldername):Access is denied. Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use."

I have tried it with several new CD-RW's, all with the same result. Properties on the disks show them to be completely empty. When I back up this is the only application running. I can read from the drive and can copy from it onto my C: drive. Please can someone advise me on what the problem is and how I can resolve it?

Diodorus Siculus 00:44 23 Jan 2006

Difficult one that - could be a lot of things.

Do you have Win98 CD?

If so, try the system file checker

start

run

sfc

and click start

VillaGuy 13:46 23 Jan 2006

Sorry I haven't had a chance to reply before now.

Do I run sfc from the Windows 98 CD or is it loaded in Windows on my hard disk already?

rômanab 14:11 23 Jan 2006

No, just put the disc in your drive then click on start > run then type in sfc and click start.

VillaGuy 15:26 23 Jan 2006

I'll try this when I get back tonight. Thanks for your help, guys.

VillaGuy 21:26 23 Jan 2006

I tried this and scanned for altered files. The System File Checker said that file user.exe in C:\Windows\System might be corrupt. I could not find it on the 98 disk so I had to ignore it. Later, it did the same thing for setupx.dll in C:\Windows\System. I had to ignore this one as well, so I am no better off.

As a matter of interest, if I reloaded Windows 98 would that screw up my current desktop, settings, etc.?

Diodorus Siculus 22:59 23 Jan 2006

You should be ok doing a reinstall of Win98 over itself. But get a good backup in place first.

woodchip 23:08 23 Jan 2006

This may be a bit late for you but before you do things like you did, You should have made a Image of your Drive before you loaded XP, With such as Acronis True Image. I would say that now your only way back is save all your files photos e-mail etc and do a fresh install of 98

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

5 best 3D model websites

iPhone 8 vs iPhone X

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache