"access denied" message

CabbageWhite 14:48 15 Aug 2007

I have Windows XP2, Office 2003 and Outlook Express. On trying to open any Office program (Word, XP etc), OE or Photoshop, I get a message "Windows cannot access the specified device path or file. You may not have the appropriate permission to acces the item". As you can see, I can open Internet Explorer. Advice would be much appreciated. Thanks. David

johndrew 15:01 15 Aug 2007

How are you logging on? Have you given yourself the correct permissions when you created the account as Administrator?

CabbageWhite 15:27 15 Aug 2007

I have not created acounts, nor appointed an adminstrator. The PC should - in theory - be usuable by anyone. As far as I know, I have changed nothing to cause the problem. I get the Desktop OK on booting, but cannot get beyond that except (thankfully)to Explorer. I have also found that I cannot use the reset point (attempts to do so bring up the same meassage).

johndrew 16:03 15 Aug 2007

The `Administrator` is by default the person who hold the account - in this case you.

Go to `Control Panel > User Accounts` and see what Accounts there are and what privileges each account has. Hopefully you will find yours which should be `Administrator`. If there is another with `Administrator` by it log on as that account and give yourself the full `Administrator` privileges.

If you are already `Administrator` I`m not sure what else to suggest.

CabbageWhite 16:38 15 Aug 2007

Thanks johndrew. that did it.

hgipps 23:41 16 Aug 2007

I have much the same problem, but more limited access.
I am running XP Pro SP2 with myself as the admin account, and one other limited user account.
Night before last Widows Update was doing something as I shut down.

Now, although the OS loads, every click on a program or even a control panel item produces the error message.." You may not have appropriate permission etc"

Though it must be a virus, but maybe the admin settings are shredded?

woodchip 23:44 16 Aug 2007

If you are using Windows firewall, Try turning it off

woodchip 23:45 16 Aug 2007

The reason I say the above, is that many programs automatically check the internet for updates

CabbageWhite 00:07 17 Aug 2007

Mine went again. I found out how to log-on in safe mode (I'm not very good at these things, and if your are not too, keep hitting the F8 key when you turn the PC on). That let me log-on as the administrator (I am the only one anyway) and set the restore point to the day before I had the problem. That may not have been the optimum method, but it worked. [But then I had problem with Norton too which required me to update my antivirus program from 2006 to 2007.] Good luck.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone