Access Denied - Help!!

Kalpna 21:20 12 Jan 2006

Hello,

Can someone please help?

I have two computers - one running XP Pro and one XP Home. The XP home one was new for Christmas. I have been trying to network them. Both have 10/100 network cards and are connected by a cross-over cable. I am sure by now that all the connections, installations and adjustments are correctly made. Each machine sees the other and I have pinged from both ends. Shared drives have been specified.

I have sat with the phone to my ear talking to the manufacurers helpline (£1 per minute!!!). In the end they said they would phone me back and havn't.

The problem. I can access the XP Home PC from the XP Pro, but when I try to access the Pro from the Home I get this error message,
"\\ is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. Access is denied."

Please help if you can.

PaulB2005 21:35 12 Jan 2006

Do you have a firewall on either PC?

Kalpna 22:28 12 Jan 2006

I have a firewall on XP Pro (ZoneAlarm), but i have tried the exercise first with it turned off, then with it uninstalled with the same result as above. Presently it is re-installed, but to allow access to the specified network.

The XP Home computer has no internet connection or any firewall.

mgmcc 23:00 12 Jan 2006

Have a look at this article relating to "Client" access to XP Professional - click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires