access denied to desktop

joel6429 21:50 05 Jun 2009

I recently got PC World to transfer data from my old PC (using XP) to a new laptop (using Vista Home premium). Now there are only a few icon. showing on my PCs destop and I get an on screen message:-
"Desktop C/documents and settings/..../access denied." I cannot access any programs using Start,All Programs
Grateful for any help anyone can give.

PO79 21:54 05 Jun 2009

Without wishing to seem rude, take it back to PC World and tell them to sort it out.

phono 22:24 05 Jun 2009

I'm afraid I would have to agree with PO79 on this.

I am sure that you had to pay to have this service carried out so I would go to PC World and demand that they put it right or give a complete refund of any fee paid.

joel6429 23:27 05 Jun 2009

to po79 and phono-I appreciate your efforts, but I have already been back to PC World twice and they can't help-so I thought I'd try the forum + I've tried a system restore-to no effect

phono 00:08 06 Jun 2009

"Now there are only a few icon. showing on my PCs destop"

What Icons are showing on your desktop? What and how many icons were you expecting to see?

"I get an on screen message:- "Desktop C/documents and settings/..../access denied."

What actions are you carrying out when this message appears?

"I cannot access any programs using Start,All Programs"

Do you mean that you cannot access any programs from the Start button?

If you cannot access any programs at all then I would suggest that your Windows installation, and/or the registry, has been corrupted, I would take PC World to task on this if the system was working okay before they undertook the work you requested.

If it is only certain files or programs that you cannot access this may be related to a problem with permissions settings and/or ownership of files, can you give more details?

When you say you got PC World to transfer data to your new laptop were you by any chance expecting to have all files and programs which were installed on the old PC transferred to the new laptop? If so things are not that simple, you would need to install all software on the new PC and then transfer the data.

No matter what way you look at it I still believe that PC World are somewhat accountable for this situation.

Imagine for a moment leaving your car into a garage to have an accessory fitted but when you go back to collect it the car will not even start, would you pay them for their services and just walk away and ask someone else to fix the problem?

Don't get me wrong, I am more than willing to try and help but I feel that you should be pressing PC World on this matter or demanding a refund if not compensation as well, and I would just like to add that I have no personal axe to grind with PC World, my advice would be the same no matter who did the data transfer.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:21 06 Jun 2009

Agree with others PC world are responsible so if unwilling or can't help ask for compensation or at least your money back.

Access Files
If you get Access Denied in WinXP Pro. Try “taking ownership” of the file/folder before it can be accessed. First of all go to Folder Options, View Tab and in the Advanced Settings at the end, untick “Use simple file sharing”, which will allow the Security Tab to be shown in the file’s properties. Also, in Folder options, make sure hidden and system files can be viewed.
To take ownership of the file (it’s best done at the folder level), right-click it, Properties, Security Tab, add your user name, fill in all the permissions and Apply. You can now access it.
click here

Access Files XP Home
Simple file sharing is enabled by default in XP Home
Note You must be logged on to the computer with an account that has administrative credentials. If you are running Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, you must start the computer in safe mode, and then log on with an account that has Administrative rights to have access to the Security tab.
or
click here
or
click here and click on the link at part one and download the required program.
Follow the instructions and the security tab will be enabled. PLEASE READ CAREFULLY OR YOU COULD DENY ACCESS TO ALL YOUR FILES.

joel6429 21:10 06 Jun 2009

thanks to all for your help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?