Access database - creating folders

VNAM75 09:53 20 Jan 2006

Is it possible to create individual folders in Access to manage tables and queries etc? I find the numnber of icons very hard to manage ie. when you have about 20 queries it is hard to find the one you are looking for, so it would be useful to group the icons in individual folders.

Belatucadrus 16:07 20 Jan 2006

Have you tried ceating a form with Command buttons to open the relevant tables and queries ? You could either give them text labels to help identify them or subdivide them into smaller groups, grouped to your own criteria then accessing them via a main Menu form.

Chris the Ancien 19:19 20 Jan 2006

In a nutshell, not that I've ever found.

Tidy naming conventions are the only way to really attack this - then you can spot the table/query/form that you want more easily.

As a ps... NEVER use spaces in the names of tables/queries/forms etc. Although Access can handle them, if you ever need to develop the database further - at a later date - and macros start creeping in, spaces in names can cause real upsets.

A lot of people prefix the names with an abbreviation... f'r'inst tblMyData, qryWhereIsIt or frmLookAtThis. Tidy naming, right from the start, can be very beneficial.

HTH

Chris

Durko 13:55 22 Jan 2006

What about creating a Switchboard from the Tools command. An example is that presented when first opening the Northwind Database Files which reveals an interface box shaped list with choice to open queries, forms, tables, etc.

Durko

VNAM75 11:23 23 Jan 2006

Thanks everyone for the advice, some good ideas. I think I'll design a Form Switch Board with lots of colourful icons.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?