Accesing web via wi-fi?

lostandconfused 13:33 04 Apr 2006

Hi all,

I have been toying with the idea of setting up a wi-fi network, since I really need to be able to access the web from my laptop. However, I am confused about how to go about actually logging on to the web with a network set up.
At present we have a desktop connected up to AOL DSL broadband, and when one wishes to access the web they have to logon via AOL using their own username and password etc. Once the AOL connection is set-up one can then open IE windows etc. as desired.
If a network is set up how would one open a connection to the web? Would the router open the connection, and then send pages to the computer requesting? And if so how would one log the router on?

I read this and realise I don't eally know what I'm talking about, but any advice would be gladly accepted, along with any links which might further enlighten me!

Thanks,
John

dms05 14:56 04 Apr 2006

You would log-on from either the original desktop or new WiFi'd laptop in exactly the same way. Once logged on with one machine the other should not need logging on (unless AOL are different to BT Broadband) and you'd just open IE and browse. Perhaps an AOL user can confirm/deny this is the case.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?