Absolutely baffled - the weirdest thing!!!

Chaco 13:04 08 Apr 2004

Last night I was happily playing away on my PC when I noticed that the shortcut for Nero that was pinned to the start menu was registering a generic icon. This was because I had reinstalled Nero to a different location due to some corrupt sectors that was causing cache problems for Nero. I looked at properties for the Nero icon and saw that the location field was blank. I put in the new location for Nero and it worked fine. Except that no matter what I run, Nero gets run. if I run IE, I get Nero. If I do Start/Run/Cmd I get Nero. If I reboot instead of getting Zone Alarm and my antivirus loading I get Nero, Nero, Nero. Absolutely every single executable fo whatever form that I have tried runs Nero. I though about what I had done to the Nero icon which might have cause dthe problem and I can;t understand how something local to Nero could affect the whole system. I also suspect that it could be a virus simple because of the behaviour. I am in the middle of a rebuild; installing XP on E: so that I might be able to salvage all my letters and photos within My Documents on C:

It is the most insane thing I have ever seen after years in IT and I can find nothing on the net about it at all. I've heard of viruses disabling exe files but never doing what happens on my PC.

I just wondered if anyone has ever seen anything like this before?

Thanks

Dave

Chaco 13:06 08 Apr 2004

Apologies for the spelling and grammer, it has been a long night!!

AndySD 13:21 08 Apr 2004

It sounds like you have associated all exe files with Nero. click here may give you some help.

Chaco 13:29 08 Apr 2004

Hi Andy, your solution looks good on paper but the problem I have is that I can't run anything at all that doesn't load Nero. Can't get a cmd prompt up as I get Nero when I try. Even when I right click on the desktop and click Settings, I get Nero. I seems that exe files that are affected but I suspect it's any runnable file just about, exe or not. I can open the Control Panel ok but as soon as I click on any of the icons within it I get Nero.

I am resigned to a rebuild with the hope I can salvage as much of my files as I can, I am just amazed that I was able to screw my system up so completely so easily and so simply.

Thanks again for your help Andy.

Dave

Stuartli 13:38 08 Apr 2004

Have you tried in Safe Mode?

If you have XP you may well be able to do a System Restore.

Stuartli 13:41 08 Apr 2004

How are you getting on to this website?

AndySD 13:42 08 Apr 2004

Try going Windows\inf\shell.inf and right click on the inf file, then Click Install.

Chaco 13:55 08 Apr 2004

Stuartli - Yep, tried Safe Mode, tried the console, tried doing a repair installation, tried just about everything I can think of. Oh and I am accessing this site from work (in my lunchtime of course <g>)

AndySD - can't run windows explorer on C: (or XP original install disk if you like)

What I have done is deleted and reformatted partition D: (on a second disk) and installed Xp on there - works fine. The plan was to then copy the contents of My Documents from C: to D:, reformat C: and then do a full install on there. Copy the contents of My Documents back across and then reformat D: BUT, Administrator on the XP install from D: cannot access user's files on C: (because of the two different installations of XP I presume)so I was initially snookered. I then found ReadNTFS at click here and it looks like I may be able to use that tonight to boot into DOS, copy the contents of My Documents from my NTFS C: to my FAT D: and then be able to blat C:

That's the theory. :)

AndySD 14:01 08 Apr 2004

Start then Run type in

rundll setupx.dll,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 132 c:\windows\inf\shell.inf

click Ok and then Restart it will reset all assosciations to Default

Chaco 14:11 08 Apr 2004

That looks like it might be do-able (the rundll command worried me but I will see what happens). I will try it tonight and let you know. Thank you for your help

AndySD 14:13 08 Apr 2004

Start your computer to Safe Mode with Command Prompt.

NOTE: You must log on as the administrator or a user that has administrator rights.

At the command prompt, type

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

and then press ENTER.

Follow the instructions on the screen to begin restoring your computer to a previous, functional state.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?