Absent sounds

ACP 13:59 31 Jan 2005

Every time I reboot my laptop and then go to the radio, I get no sound. A friend did some work on it and it reappeared. I am not sure what he did however and so wonder if there is a common solution to this problem to set things up so it doesn't do this each time. The laptop is an IBM P2 with Windows XP installed. I downloaded Realplayer which is what it uses to play the radio with.

mattyc_92 14:19 31 Jan 2005

Do you get ANY sound from it like the "microsoft startup sound"??? or is it like there are no speakers in the laptops world??

ACP 15:18 31 Jan 2005

Thanks Matty. There are no sounds which occur and the speaker icon is missing from the bottom RH side of the bar.

mattyc_92 15:20 31 Jan 2005

try re-installing your motherboard...

mattyc_92 15:55 31 Jan 2005

Go to control pannel->sound, speach and audio devices and select sound and audio devices..... Now Tick the "place icon in system tray" option and press ok.... No just double click onto the icon and set ALL the slides to maximan...

ACP 18:33 31 Jan 2005

Thanks. The hardware display said no audio device. I got some more help here and found out I had to go thru a procedure to install the audio driver. The problem seems to be that whenever the computer is rebooted, it does not install the audio drive as part of all the stuff it does to get set up. Anyone know how that might be rectified?

mattyc_92 18:50 31 Jan 2005

soory... can't help you there... I would wait to see if a user called "Nellie2".. She knows tones of stuff about tones of different subjects....

ACP 20:21 31 Jan 2005

Thanks mattyc_92- will wait and see if any more postings on this. Thanks again for your help.

mattyc_92 20:52 31 Jan 2005

You may want to "bump" this up every so often (like every hour or so) so that users who have just logged in can see the thread... Just make a post to this thread something on the lines of "bump" or "^^^^^"...

thesut 21:42 31 Jan 2005

for some reason last year my pc did something similar. I toyed with the power management to make the pc turn off its hardrive & hibernate etc & the sound went. I returned everything back to never shutting off etc problem solved.

Terry Brown 21:55 31 Jan 2005

Have you downloaded an SiS file (Sound update) from the internet. Remove the update, and you you proberly get your sound back

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?