About partitioning my 500GB drive into 3 partition

erkmatrix 16:47 19 Sep 2007

Hi I want to use my new PC for photoshop work and have seen on this site thats its best to have your hard drive in 3 partitions. Heres what it says

" I have got this partitioned into 3, the first partition for scratch disk, the second for data to be backed up and the third for my tilted of design elements."

Cab someone please explain what I should do to partition my main pc 500Gb drive into 3 parts, bearing in mind I will be putting all savings artwork and other files on a seperate external hard drive. So this drive can be used just for above in the 3 partitions.

I'll be running XP home too on the machine

Cheers

cream. 17:11 19 Sep 2007

If the 500Gb hard drive you want to partition has the XP operating system on it, then you will need a third party software like acronis or partition magic to do it.

If the drive has no operating system and is a external or slave drive. then windows disk management will do the job for you.

post back as to which one you have.

erkmatrix 21:03 19 Sep 2007

Hi yes its going to have XP home operating system on it. How much does this software cost, would it be easier getting another 500Gb hard drive and installing that as well

cheers

skidzy 21:20 19 Sep 2007

Partition Logic is free click here

GANDALF <|:-)> 21:21 19 Sep 2007

There is no point in partitioning new computers. Get an external drive and put your apps/documents backups on that. It will be much easier.

G

cream. 21:22 19 Sep 2007

" Hi yes its going to have XP home operating system on it. "

Is the drive new and empty. If it is you can partition as you load the operating system.

If it already has the operating system on then something similar to acronis disk director will do the job easily. You should be able to get it for under £20 if you google. they are some free trials that may work.

Stuartli 21:52 19 Sep 2007

If you are installing XP on a new hard drive, see the second section of this page:

click here

I've just acquired a 400GB Seagate external hard drive for £57 from Scan:

click here

Neat, compact and easy to set up. Incremental backups with a touch of a button after first backup.

Some outlets are still selling it for £79.99 whilst others only provide the 300GB version for around £58...:-)

Totally-braindead 21:57 19 Sep 2007

As a simple suggestion, and its free, go to the manufacturers of the drive website and you can download free tools that can partition a new drive to your hearts content. No need to part with money. Maxblast for Maxtor drives and I think they might do Seagate drives as well now and Western Digital have their set of tools as well etc etc.
Gandalf has made a good point about using an external drive. Remember that if you do partition the drive into 3 if the drive fails you loose everything. If you had a external drive as a backup you would still have some of the info.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?