About to jump on the Home Networking Bandwagon

Siouxsie 10:42 10 Jul 2004

Hi All

Here's the story.. just moved back home where sis has broadband (blueyonder) wanna share connection. What do we do? what do we need? Been looking in this forum.. not sure if looking in right place. Both PC's running XP Home, my PC was connected to B/band previously (blueyonder). Any unistalling/ installing needed? what equipment... wireless modem is first option as dad doesn't want no more wiring around the house *sigh*. Please help.....

VoG II 10:53 10 Jul 2004

You need a wireless router and a wireless network card.

The existing cable from the cable modem to your sister's PC is connected to the router and your sister's PC is then plugged into the router.

You then fit the wireless network card to your PC and it will then connect wirelessly, via the router.

You will need to either register the router's MAC address with blueyonder or clone the MAC address of your sister's PC (the router instructions will tell you how to do this).

thms 10:57 10 Jul 2004

Have a look here click here

only me 11:00 10 Jul 2004

Hi i got a guy who put in a Barricade broadband router, it has firewall security, a hardwired one. I don't know where you live but there must be someone to help you set it up

Siouxsie 11:00 10 Jul 2004

thanks VoG (Voice of God? perhaps??)

any recommendations as to which ones to buy. Really haven't got a clue as to what to buy, compatibility, etc....

sorry - any help gratefully appreciated... :o)

VoG II 11:06 10 Jul 2004

I've got click here and click here

but there are several other brands available. I would suggest a trip to PC World and look what's available and ask for advice.

VoG II 11:09 10 Jul 2004

click here may help you as well.

Siouxsie 11:11 10 Jul 2004

... and thanks thms. just printed out the link. even though the article dates to last year - is it all still valid??

only me - is that barricade router a wireless thing??

johnsims 11:13 10 Jul 2004

I like Netgear kit. Their site click here also has some excellent tutorials on setting up a home network to sahre an internet connection.

Siouxsie 11:16 10 Jul 2004

thank you all - great to have this kind of help and support (customer service centers could learn from forums... )

will go and study info given so far, take a trip to PC World... back on later this afternoon..

You all are great!!

only me 10:54 11 Jul 2004

no i am afraid not, but maybe they do a wireless one?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?