about to formay old computer

merc. 15:22 08 Dec 2007

I have just about got every thing of my old computer onto new one and ready to format it and put XP back onto it (have the disc), so my wife can try and learn to work a computer. I have a few questions before starting this.

Do I just put the XP disc into drive and let it load itself, can I also format the drive from the XP disc or do it before through > my computer >disc C >format.

Will I have to put drivers back onto computer after install or will XP pick them up?
If not in what order do I have to put the drivers back onto the computer after XP is installed I have drivers in a separate disc but they cover a number of different motherboards, graphic cards etc I assume I will have to find out which ones are on old computer before starting process.

I have SP 1&2 discs dose number 2 discs have all the updates that 1had or do I put the 2 back on separate, and then download all other updates Microsoft.

If there is any else I should be aware of please me know as I hope to start next week sometime

Thanks for now

Merc

merc. 15:23 08 Dec 2007

Should have read
"about to format old computer"

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:02 08 Dec 2007

or do it before through > my computer >disc C >format.
No XP will not let youformat the drive it is working from

Do I just put the XP disc into drive and let it load itself,
You need to make sure that the CD/DVD drive is set as the first boot device in the BIOS

can I also format the drive from the XP disc
When you "press any key to boot from CD it will load itself and enter setup and you will be given the choice to format the partition before installing XP.

these links take you through "clean installing XP"
Clean install windows XP
click here
click here
click here
click here

jarani 17:06 08 Dec 2007

xxx

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:12 08 Dec 2007

Before you start

backup your drivers click here

backup any docs photos emails etc.

make sure you have the license keys for any software you want to reinstall

SP2 disc contains all the SP1 updates, but you will need to download the updates since sp2 cameout.

1. Boot from CD format the drive
2. Install XP
3. install your drivers
4. (unless you are using a router with built in firewall) switch on XP firewall connect to web and download a better firewall, disconnect and install
5. Reconnect download and install antivirus and antipyware.

merc. 17:58 08 Dec 2007

Fruit Bat /\0/\

Great advice, will study all your links and back up drivers as your secaond post. I have the XP licence key.

w
E
Will give it a try early next week no doubt will have to come back and get more advice if I get stuck

Thanks for now

Merc

woodchip 18:17 08 Dec 2007

Question! is this a full XP CD or a OEM that you got with another computer. As if it's a OEM from another computer it will load but you will not be able to get more than 30 days as it will stop on account of the above

merc. 18:31 08 Dec 2007

Woodchip

It is the full XP CD that came with the computer 6 years ago (Evesham)

Merc

woodchip 19:50 08 Dec 2007

It will not work if it came with another PC

woodchip 19:50 08 Dec 2007

It will not work if it came with another PC

merc. 11:31 09 Dec 2007

The disc came with this computer when new,I am only wanting to scrub every thing of computer and start a freesh copy of XP as I was having a few problems with it considering all the junk it has collected over the years.

My problem to day is it wont let me fromat the C drive doing it through start>my computer>disc C>format. I get a warning,

"windows cannot format this drive. Quit any disk utilities or other programs that are using this drive,and make sure that no windows is displaying the contents of the drive. then try formating again"

Where I am going wrong.

Merc

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?