About Blank, I give up !!

delboy34 13:20 26 Feb 2005

Hi Guys

I am just about out of my mind with this about blank thing.
I have follwed all suggestions and have made no headway at all.
The visible dll is iehelper.dll and when I go to the registry and double click Applnit_DLLs as suggested to get the name of the hidden file, nothing appears under value.
I have tried all programs such as CWShredder, AD Aware etc etc, and whilst I can clear the problem on each start up with cleaners the problem is still there on the next start.
So how do I find this hidden file ??
Have run Hijack this which only shows iehelper.dll.
Would appreciate any suggestions before I go completely mad.

Delboy

mattyc_92 13:24 26 Feb 2005

I haven't read your previous thread(s) on this subject (provided there are other thread(s))...

Do you mean that your "HomePage" is set to About blank as default??

Jak_1 13:25 26 Feb 2005

Sounds like there may be a registry entry, suggest using a reg cleaner like 'Wincleaner' to clean the registry after using CWShredder etc.

Happy Soul 13:42 26 Feb 2005

Get click here on a fully working 30 day FREE trial.

Dan the Confused 13:55 26 Feb 2005

click here any help? BHODemon click here may also help.

Note that running programs and deleting files in safe mode can make them more effective.

stalion 15:14 26 Feb 2005

if you are totally stuck post a hijack this log on here click here

^wave^ 15:44 26 Feb 2005

have you run spybot search and destroy imunise if you have then it may be blocking sites

sattman 15:44 26 Feb 2005

I have not seen your previous thread on this problem. But are you aware that thier is a genuine home page option in Windows ME, (not sure about anything else) which is part of Windows.

sattman 15:48 26 Feb 2005

Sorry message sent in error.

This is called "about Blank"

Nellie2 16:04 26 Feb 2005

There are different variants of what's known as the aboutblank infection... you may not have one with the hidden dll... you may have the most recent one which is proving to be a bit of a wotsit to clean up.

But I won't know until I see a hijackthis log.

Could you please download hijackthis from click here. Extract it into it's own folder, please do not run it from a temporary directory or from the zip file.

Run hijackthis and click the Do system scan and save logfile button, be patient as it may take a little while to complete, but eventually a notepad file with your log will pop up. Please copy and paste the entire contents of that text file as a reply to this thread.

You may have to split the log into two to post it as there is an 800 word limit to posts here, but it is important that I see the whole hijackthis log.

Do not fix anything yet as a lot of what hijackthis lists is useful and even essential to the running of your PC

mattyc_92 17:40 26 Feb 2005

Do as Nellie2 suggests.... She knows everything.... lol

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?