About Blank

Cesare 10:38 07 Mar 2007

When I click off MSN.co.uk I see 'About Blank' in the address bar for a few seconds. I believe that this is a malware or is it a virus? I have scanned with Adaware, Spybott, AVG, SpywareBlaster, A2, Spyware Terminator and all give me a clean sheet.Any help appreciated.

Stuartli 10:55 07 Mar 2007
  ArrGee 10:56 07 Mar 2007

No, not malware. In Internet Explorer (assuming you are using this) go to Tools - Internet Options and change your home page.

In IE7 there is also a setting for Tabs. Click on Settings and select 'Open home page for new tabs instead of a blank page'

Gongoozler 10:56 07 Mar 2007

'About Blank' can be caused by a home page hijacker. Have a look in Internet Explorer - Tool - Internet Options, and see what your home page is set to. If your homepage has been hijacked, it might be about:blank, but the main effect will be that you can't change it, or if you do it will revert.

ArrGee 10:57 07 Mar 2007

Sorry Stuartli, I assumed that IE7 was just set-up that way, as that is also what kept happening on a brand new machine I've purchased.

I'll have to have a closer look at your links.

Stuartli 11:15 07 Mar 2007

Also see:

click here

johndrew 11:36 07 Mar 2007

I am confused.

I use Firefox with NoScript. If I open the `Options` for this I find `about:blank` listed as one of the approved sites. I have never approved it and always believed it came with Firefox. Is this the same thing as is being discussed here or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Cesare 11:44 07 Mar 2007

I have changed my Home page from MSN co.uk to MSN.com and reset the Tabs as ArrGee said.I will see if this does the trick. Thanks.

Cesare 12:22 07 Mar 2007

johndrew I think that there is only one 'about blank'.

beynac 12:45 07 Mar 2007

A blank browser page is called 'about:blank'. This appears for a few seconds while the browser downloads the page you have requested. This is perfectly normal and is not a problem.

There is malware that sets your home page as 'About:Blank', so this can be a sign of infection.

Stuartli 13:07 07 Mar 2007

As you rightly point out there is a difference between About Blank and about:blank.

Hence my responses.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone