Abit GD8 v1 M/b and Blue Screen on boot

Giggle n' Bits 00:24 03 Aug 2007

trying to put a new Samsung 160jj Sata HDD on my intel P4, WinXP (when enventually get to be able to install)

Fitted with 2GB DDR PC3200, Gainward Graphics card and a DVD Writer. Have removed a Creative Audigy II Sound card until problem sorted, PSU is 600w

Problem, just carn't get past blue screen erro saying stuff like check for viruses, if you have just added a new hardware device etc then a load of 0x000000x7b, (0xF78D2524) 0x0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000 stop errors yuk.

It was fine before on old HDD which was a ATA IDE but Sata no play.

Ideally need my macachine up and running for weekend, where & what should I check to sort it please.

Giggle n' Bits 01:05 03 Aug 2007

taken from x other forum,

"I have three onboard IDE's. Two of them are grouped together and one is sort of on its own on the side of the motherboard. Make sure that the optical drives (CD and DVD) are plugged into the side IDE and not the two that are grouped together.

Secondly make sure that you use the IDE cable with the blue, black and grey connector and not any of the other cables. Also remember to set the one drive as master and the other as slave and plug the grey connector into the master and the black connector into the slave and the blue one into the motherboard.

The problem comes from the fact that Windows or Linux (I've tried both) is seeing the optical drives as hard drives and therefore is not able to start up properly."

Thanks to anyone who called for a read

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?