ABetterInternet found by spybot

Chegs ®™ 06:44 12 Dec 2005

Yet it says its unable to remove it as its in use.Here are the removal instructions click here
===================================================
Try the following steps to remove this program:

Click Start > Settings > Control Panel.
Click Add/Remove Programs.
From the program list, select the entry 'WIN32 BI Application', then click Change/Remove to remove the program.
If the above removal step does not work, you can manually remove this program:

Click Start > Run, type 'regedit' and click Ok to open the Registry Editor.
Search for and delete the following entries:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Classes \ CLSID \ {000006B1-19B5-414A-849F-2A3C64AE6939}

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Explorer \ Browser Helper Objects \ {000006B1-19B5-414A-849F-2A3C64AE6939}

Reboot your computer.
Open Dos command prompt window (Start > Run, type 'cmd' or 'command').
Enter the following commands:
cd %WinDir%
del bi.dll
Click Start > Settings > Control Panel > Internet Options, Select the Programs tab and then click Reset Web Settings buttons.
===================================================

Only I haven't been able to find the regkeys it refers to,only "Activex" key with {000006B1-19B5-414A-849F-2A3C64AE6939} so I tried searching for the "bi.dll" only this isn't present on my system either.I then used the cmd prompt to try and delete the bi.dll from there,only the "del bi.dll" command gives "not found"

So,do I have this Adware on my system or has Spybot lost the plot? I also tried running Spybot after reboot,it found the "ABetterInternet" adware again,but still couldn't remove it either.

I will set my other spyware hunters off to see if they find anything untoward also,but A2/SpywareBlaster/Adaware,etc hasn't alerted me to its presense,and MicroSoft AntiSpyware hasn't either.

Chegs ®™ 13:40 12 Dec 2005

refresh

Sethhaniel 13:49 12 Dec 2005

- could have been dealt with and just being found in the system restore folder -

Chegs ®™ 13:54 12 Dec 2005

Thanks for the suggestion,but as I possess several drive imaging apps,I have System Restore turned off.

€dstowe 14:23 12 Dec 2005

There are a number of Goooooooogle entries for this program - including many that claim to remove it.

Chegs ®™ 14:29 12 Dec 2005

I know google offers many ways to remove it,the link I've posted was one.My problem is that I cannot find any registry entries to delete,the "bi.dll" isn't present on my system either.The only anti app that finds it is Spybot,none of the others do.

gudgulf 14:43 12 Dec 2005

I'd run Hijack This click here and look for the ActiveX control.

The line will read:

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {000006B1-19B5-414A-849F-2A3C64AE6939} -"x"

where "x"is the location of the file.If you get x = no file, then all there is on your pc is the ActiveX control registry entry, which can be deleted.

It looks like you did have ABetterInterenet but it has been dealt with by one of your antimalware apps apart from the ActiveX control registry entry.

Chegs ®™ 14:47 12 Dec 2005

I had just thought of HJT and was hunting thru its log when the email notification of your post arrived. ;-)

Will report back shortly.

Chegs ®™ 15:18 12 Dec 2005

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\nsr54.dll

This was the only reg entry that I could find for anything Spybot was flagging up.I have deleted it,and will now reboot then rerun Spybot to see if it still finds ABetterInternet.

€dstowe 16:01 12 Dec 2005

I expected there to be a program that removed it - not just instructions on how to edit the registry which, as you appreciate, is a potentially dangerous thing for the uninitiated.

Chegs ®™ 16:11 12 Dec 2005

Deleted entry as above,rebooted,reran Spybot,and was finally presented with the congrats,no nasties message.

Now its just wait and see which(if any)prog on my puter ceases functioning. ;-)

Thanks folks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?