AAAUUUGH! My comp is FUBARed! (modem problems)

Arokthis 17:59 23 Dec 2003

Note: Except for the problem listed, machine works fine.

I DL'd "MetConnect" in the search for another truly free internet provider. (Right now I use Netzero.) Since it was only for a part of NY state, I uninstalled it. Due to inattention, I also uninstalled "Microsoft Connection Manager" which was right below it in the "Add/Remove" list. Now the modem is not seen correctly, making me unable to go online. (I'm currently at the library.)
Steps taken to fix:
Un, re, un, and re-installed everything in the "connection" section (part with "phone dialer") of "Windows Setup" in "Add/Remove" of Contol panel.
Uninstall "seen" modem and reset.
No luck.
Next step is to un and re-install Netzero.

Machine says 4.10.1998 for version.

Gotta go, will check back tomorrow.

hugh-265156 18:50 23 Dec 2003

im not familiar with netzero im afraid.

there is a connection wizard download that may help pinpoint the problem for you.click here along with various error messages and solutions.

support click here

Arokthis 16:44 24 Dec 2003

The problem is not with Netzero. I un and re-installed it yesterday with no change in situation.

I am creating a text file that will have everything that show up as the machine starts, as well as all relevant Control Panel and BIOS settings. If it would help, I will post it here for everyone's perusal.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?