Aaaagh help, Panda V Norton freeze

researcher 08:10 10 Jan 2003
  researcher 08:10 10 Jan 2003

Im a fool, but then why should it not have been OK?

XP home running Panda Titanium antivirus. My ISP offers Nortan 2002 free so I downloaded it to have a look at. Download OK, but when I opened it up, it hung. So did soft boot but cannot log in.

Starts ok to windows log-in screen, but then hangs on "loading you settings". I've left it running for half-an-hour, but still nothing.

The only thing I can think of (as i cannot get to sytem restore)is on re-booting going into the bios operating system and doing something.....but what?

Any help/advise greatfully received, I'll only be able to try them this eve, so please keep suggestions coming in!

powerless 08:23 10 Jan 2003

Sounds good dont it?

When booting up keep tapping the F8 key and select "Safe Mode"...

Press Enter...

Unistall Norton Anti Virus. Or pnada if you want to run Norton.

Only have one AV running at anyone time.

researcher 11:05 10 Jan 2003

Thanks Powerless, looks simple - famous last words.

Any other thoughts out there? If the above works, fantastic, if not, other ideas may be usefull.

VoG™ 11:08 10 Jan 2003

Go with Powerless - running in Safe Mode will stop them from running and you can then uninstall one or the other.

researcher 17:56 10 Jan 2003

Thank you again powerless and vog - it worked. I'd always wondered how to get into safe mode!

Norton did not want to let me remove it, but I managed by drag and drop to the recycle bin and used "destroy it" to remove the bits that refused to be dragged.

I then went back to system restore and all OK now.

The above additional info incase anyone else gets stuck.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?