A8N5X onboard sound fails intermittently

Jonno_G 09:46 28 Mar 2006

I have recently built a system using an ASUS A8N5X mobo, but the sound frequently misbehaves.

Initially it would play all audio types, WAV files, MP3's, CD's etc. but now it will only play play a CD by using either the AV Rack software supplied with the mobo or with Nero's media player as supplied with the DVD-RW drive. If I try to use Windows Media Player 10 (with all updates/codecs installed) it gives an error message stating that the media cannot be played because the audio device is in use by another program.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling theaudio drivers, I have even replaced them with the updated versions. All of the Windows updates are installed up to yesterday.

I have tried disabling the AV Rack software from running at startup, as I thought that might be the "other program" that was using the audio device, but to no avail.

I am fairly sure that it is a software issue, rather than a hardware issue, as it worked fine initially but now only works rarely, and gives a software related error message when it does fail.

I have tried everything I could come up with, so hopefully someone here can help me out.

TIA.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?